PDA

View Full Version : Protest Against the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Bill

C. Flower
28-05-2013, 11:11 PM
5pm outside Dail Eireann to protest against the draconian Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Bill 2013.
There is a Press Conference beforehand in Buswell’s Hotel at 4pm. The Bill represents a unilateral end to free collective bargaining.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2012/4912/document1.htm

The demonstration and press conference has been called by the grass roots trade union body No2CrokePark2. There will be speakers from several unions including SIPTU, IMPACT, UNITE,CPSU as well as from teaching unions at the press conference. All TDs and Senators have been invited to the events

This proposed legislation poses a serious threat to trade union and democratic rights in this country. The bill, if passed, will cut wages and pensions. It also contains a coercive clause which threatens to freeze the increments due to workers in the public sector unless, as outlined in the explanation to the bill, they are covered by a collective agreement that modifies the terms of the incremental suspension and which has been registered with the Labour Relations Commission.
The Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Bill 2013 is a serious threat to trade union and democratic rights in this country. The bill, if passed, will cut wages and pensions. It also contains a coercive clause which threatens to freeze the increments due to workers in the public sector unless, as outlined in the explanation to the bill, they are covered by a collective agreement that modifies the terms of the incremental suspension and which has been registered with the Labour Relations Commission.
The fundamental right of workers to vote on any proposal on the basis of its merits is being undermined completely. The right of a trade union to defend its members is being obliterated. At present, the government is attempting to intimidate workers into accepting the Haddington Road proposals. The proposed legislation changes the landscape in Ireland. It is an anti-worker, anti-trade union and anti-democratic legislation.

We believe it must be opposed by all trade unions and by everyone that cares for democratic principles. We are, therefore, issuing an open call to all trade union leaders and to all TDs to immediately condemn the proposed legislation. To not do so is to stand against democracy and workers.

fluffybiscuits
29-05-2013, 03:06 PM
5pm outside Dail Eireann to protest against the draconian Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Bill 2013.
There is a Press Conference beforehand in Buswell’s Hotel at 4pm. The Bill represents a unilateral end to free collective bargaining.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2012/4912/document1.htm

And yet I heard nothing about it from the unions regards the protest...

Sam Lord
29-05-2013, 03:38 PM
And yet I heard nothing about it from the unions regards the protest...

You'd probably have a cold or some such thing so it doesn't really matter ...

fluffybiscuits
29-05-2013, 03:40 PM
You'd probably have a cold or some such thing so it doesn't really matter ...

I have an allergy to gobsh*tes...everytime I read your posts I sneeze, coincidence or what?