PDA

View Full Version : Majority of British Children will Soon Be Growing Up in Households Below the Breadline - Report

C. Flower
22-05-2013, 06:49 AM
A Rowntree Trust report is saying that within a couple of years more than half of British children will be growing up in households on incomes that do not provide a basic decent living standard.

The British working class has been deeply affected by 30 years of Thatcherism, with de-industrialisation leaving only 11% of the workforce in manufacturing, and many unemployed or in low-paid service employment.

The regime of cuts to benefits now being carried out by the Tories is pushing more people further into poverty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/majority-of-british-children-will-soon-be-growing-up-in-families-struggling-below-the-breadline-government-warned-8531584.html

morticia
23-05-2013, 12:34 PM
The UK has not upped its game in education. 7% of the population, and perhaps another 30% who can afford homes in the catchment areas of well rated schools, leave school literate and numerate. Recent figures, on the other hand, show that perhaps 20% at the other end of the social spectrum end up as NEETS (not in education, employment or training) and are virtually unemployable. Many of these live in concentrations of deprivation (some parts of the North of England, South Wales etc) and plenty belong to religious and racial minorities.

The authorities are trying to tackle racism, sexism etc, but there is no attempt to tackle the elephant in the room; the class system. Immediately apparent when anyone opens their mouth. And it becomes very, very obvious as to why no-one wants it tackled, at least not amongst those wielding power... the protests by the numerate and literate at the thoughts that their kids might not get preferential access to the better schools have been deafening whenever some well meaning council or the Westminster government have suggested allocation of school places by lottery, for example.

Of course, the obvious choice would be to improve the schooling at the bottom, but bad behaviour, diet and an appalling anti-educational culture amongst many of the British working classes (..."I have no respect for anyone who spends their life with their nose in a book" is one I heard emanating from someone) means that public support for that is actually muted. Anyway, Labour governments are well meaning, but end up spending extra money on supervisory bureaucracy rather than actual services, and Tories just want to cut the rug out from anyone who can't afford Eton. Both prefer spending any spare cash on the military, a position for which there is huge public, industrial and even union support....many of the few manufacturing jobs left are in armaments, and as one prominent pol once pointed out on radio; "many of these facilities are in marginal constituencies".

Basically, I can only see the divide widening, I'm afraid. And welfare rates are well below what people get here.