PDA

View Full Version : Left Forum, X - legislation demonstration

C. Flower
17-05-2013, 10:52 PM
The Left Forum and the <EDIT x-legislation> demonstration, clashing.

http://www.facebook.com/events/234670103324587/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

"Can we finish early so we can go to the x protest?"

Is there a need for better co-ordination, or do people just need to decide on which political group they want to work with, and stop trying to bilocate ?

Ceannaire
17-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I noticed that. I have to say that whilst effort should of course be made to minimise clashes, it's not unreasonable to expect that people would be willing to sacrifice attendance at the umpteenth abortion protest, and I don't in any way say that to question the importance of pressuring the government to legislate for X, but because the whole pro-choice movement already is quite well-organised and has a lot of activity, and hence individual contributions are likely to be of less value to that cause than attempts to bring together the left.

As for the CAHWT clash, great -- finally, a left-wing event that won't be infiltrated by the Trots!

No.11
18-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Um, the CAHWT National Conference was 3 weeks ago.

C. Flower
18-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Um, the CAHWT National Conference was 3 weeks ago.

Thanks - misread Face Book, yesterday. Are you talking about the demonstration, discussed here ?

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?14138-Help-Build-for-Saturday-Apr13-Anti-Home-Taxes-Anti-Austerity-Demo

Was this also a National Conference ?

No.11
18-05-2013, 11:37 AM
No, that was a National Demonstration.

The National Conference was 3 weeks ago (April 27th) in the Regency Hotel in Dublin.

C. Flower
18-05-2013, 11:47 AM
No, that was a National Demonstration.

The National Conference was 3 weeks ago (April 27th) in the Regency Hotel in Dublin.

Is there a press report on it anywhere ? Can't find anything, searching either for CAHWT or the full name. I've checked the CAHWT site and Joe Higgins's.

The only thing that comes up is this thread, and some advance notices for the event.

C. Flower
18-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Final Agenda for the First Left Forum

The Left Forum will be divided into three main parts. The first section, the deliberative section, will see the agenda discussed in small groups of approximately six to ten attendees which will be chaired by a convenor. At the lunch break the convenors will meet to discuss if there seems to be a consensus from the discussions that can be formed into a document.

The second part of the process will take place after lunch which will be a plenary session involving all present. If possible the document will be presented, amended by attendees and voted on. If not possible a vote will be taken on whether to continue the process.

The third part of the forum will see a number of focused discussion groups around specific areas for example economics, trade unions and left media. This will be an opportunity to build networks of activists and those interested in the topics and develop ways that attendees may work together in the future. If agreed the convenors of the focused sessions will carry the work forward. Attendees are free to propose topics for focus discussions either in advance or at the forum.

Proposed Timetable

11.00am- 11.15am - Registration and seating.

11.15am - 11.30am – Brief Introduction and explanation of the process.

Deliberative Section

11.30am - 1.00pm - Deliberation on questions below using tables of 10 randomly assigned participants. Chaired by convenor with more detailed agenda.

Deliberative Agenda

1 Who is the Left?
2 What can the Left realistically hope to achieve in the short, medium and long term?
3 How and where do we achieve these aims?
4 What sort of left organisations can help us achieve our goals

1.00pm-2.00pm - Lunch. Convenors meet, discuss outcome of deliberation discussions prepare document for plenary session

Plenary Section

2.00pm – 3.00 pm – Plenary session – document shown numbered on projected screen. Attendees have opportunity to discuss document in single town hall style meeting, offer amendments etc. If agreed vote on the document, if not vote to continue process.

3.00pm- 3.15pm - Coffee break and organise tables of pre-arranged focused discussions i.e trade unions, education, media, - also allow space for anyone to set up table for any other issue they wish to discuss.

Focused Discussions

3.15pm-5.30pm – Focused Discussions –The focus of these discussions are to get people together, and may be of a more practical nature. And hope to establish networks for future work together. Each discussion group if decided will elect a convenor to carry on the process after the event.

Focus Discussions will take place on the following areas:
Left/Alternative/Community Media; Youth Issues; Housing; Economics and Policy; Education
(more may follow at a later date)

5.30pm Closing remarks, based on outcomes of deliberation and focused discussions (If a document has been agreed from deliberation and plenary). There can be brief report back from focused discussions convenors.

C. Flower
18-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Anyone go to this ? Did it go well ?

Ceannaire
18-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Yes to both. It was certainly dominated by -- shall we say -- veterans, but there were other young people there and the balance between the need for structure and for contributions from the floor seemed appropriate. The attendance was quite good, contributions were constructive and non-sectarian and I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the forum.

C. Flower
18-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes to both. It was certainly dominated by -- shall we say -- veterans, but there were other young people there and the balance between the need for structure and for contributions from the floor seemed appropriate. The attendance was quite good, contributions were constructive and non-sectarian and I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the forum.

Good. Any plans for meeting again ?

Ceannaire
18-05-2013, 08:17 PM
That appears to be the intention of the organisers, although I am not one of them so I do not know when or where they intend to do so.