PDA

View Full Version : Parents key to beating bullying: study

Gruffalo
03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
A major study on bullying has found parents play the key role in determining whether or not their children become bullies.

The finding was presented Monday morning at the Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting in Vancouver.

Dr. Rashmi Shetgiri, a pediatrician and researcher at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Children's Medical Center in Dallas, says parents who are involved in their children's lives are less likely to have kids who become bullies.

"The parents who spend some time talking with their children, parents who are involved enough in their child's life to meet their friends that's what I mean by parental involvement," she said in an interview with CBC News.

Shetgiri's study was based on a survey of 48,897 American parents with children 10 to 17 years old.

About 15 per cent of children become bullies, according to the survey.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/05/03/con-bully-study.html

Bullying is a big issue in children's developemnt. It can have an effect on educational results, mental health and a wide range of life issues. It is interesting to see how a little effort on behalf of the parent can have a significant effect on determining whether their child becomes a bully or not. So get off the internet and go hug your kiddies.

C. Flower
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/05/03/con-bully-study.html

Bullying is a big issue in children's developemnt. It can have an effect on educational results, mental health and a wide range of life issues. It is interesting to see how a little effort on behalf of the parent can have a significant effect on determining whether their child becomes a bully or not. So get off the internet and go hug your kiddies.

It works both ways. Children are good for their parents, too.

Murra
03-05-2010, 10:59 PM
I would say you could write a book on it, but so many have already been written. Even with all the knowledge out there, it still continues. I guess the right people just aren't reading the info?

Lifeisagame
03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Do the parents play an equal role in preventing their offspring from being bullies?

Murra
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Do the parents play an equal role in preventing their offspring from being bullies?

And what about kids who are bullied in their own homes?

Gruffalo
03-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Clearly areas which need further research.

Lifeisagame
03-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Yes these are really sad facts and difficult to resolve. So many children are so badly hurt mentally by evil adults it would make you cry for them.
We Must have a better Childrens Welfare system. We are obliged to look after the young. I returned today from a few days break and we stopped first to see our first Grandchild, the smile on his little face would melt your heart. Why shoild children suffer?

Sam Lord
04-05-2010, 03:52 AM
bump