PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Evans, the deputy speaker of the House of Commons, has been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault

PaddyJoe
04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
A few details here:

Mr Evans, a Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, is tonight being questioned over claims made by the two alleged victims.They claim to have been raped and sexually assaulted between July 2009 and March 2013 at his constituency. Both were in their twenties at the times of the attacks, although their exact ages have not been disclosed.

The Conservative MP was arrested at his home in Pendleton, Lancashire, this morning and is understood to be still in custody for questioning. The property has been searched by officers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10037911/Deputy-Speaker-Nigel-Evans-arrested-on-suspicion-of-rape.html

Holly
04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
This is a career ender.

morticia
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
There seem to be an awful lot of the British establishment being hauled in for this sort of thing at the moment. I'm finding it a little strange in that here it seemed mostly to be clergy related, plus the odd child abusing parent. There, we seem to have a certain class of BBC bender (Savile etc) and now two politicians (one deceased), one just arrested.....

RaggedTrousers
04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't think this questioning is related to Operation Yewtree. What do you find strange Morticia?

morticia
04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't think this questioning is related to Operation Yewtree. What do you find strange Morticia?

The fact that the sections of society that are being outed are very different from here. We are culturally not a million miles apart, but I can't point at any politicians or celebrities here who have been hauled up for child abuse/underage sex offences recently. I suppose there was the Emmet Stagg affair, but he was just accused of using male prostitutes, there were no consent issues afaik.

C. Flower
04-05-2013, 10:25 PM
There seem to be an awful lot of the British establishment being hauled in for this sort of thing at the moment. I'm finding it a little strange in that here it seemed mostly to be clergy related, plus the odd child abusing parent. There, we seem to have a certain class of BBC bender (Savile etc) and now two politicians (one deceased), one just arrested.....

There is a lot of abuse about in all parts of society. At the moment, permission has been given, or even encouragement, to "out" establishment abusers through the legal system. People are bringing forward allegations. Not all will be true and innocent until proven guilty is the way it needs to be.

Slim Buddha
04-05-2013, 10:26 PM
The fact that the sections of society that are being outed are very different from here. We are culturally not a million miles apart, but I can't point at any politicians or celebrities here who have been hauled up for child abuse/underage sex offences recently. I suppose there was the Emmet Stagg affair, but he was just accused of using male prostitutes, there were no consent issues afaik.

We may not be culturally a million miles apart but there is a huge difference in the approach to law enforcement. In Ireland, it is far more selective.

Simonsays
04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
We may not be culturally a million miles apart but there is a huge difference in the approach to law enforcement. In Ireland, it is far more selective.

Ireland has a written constitution, which means it is not possible to lower standards of proof in laws. It is in the UK and that has been done on occasion. It is a rather fundamental difference.

Apjp
04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Ireland has a written constitution, which means it is not possible to lower standards of proof in laws. It is in the UK and that has been done on occasion. It is a rather fundamental difference.

But the Irish judiciary is independent...isn't it?????????? :P

morticia
05-05-2013, 07:19 AM

And how many cases of abuse have implicated Jimmy Savile?? It appears even Fr Brendan Smyth didn't get near his level, and they even knighted him. Give me a break. The Irish system has turned a massive blind eye to the exploits of clergy. It appears the UK system has been turning an even blinder one to Establishment misdemeanours. I wonder if the blind spot concerns an untouchable class which were held in such high esteem accusations were not believed?? Here, the Church. There, celebrities, politicians and other such Brahmins. Worryingly, I suspect the public school fagging system may have been an even more potent system for incubating benders than the seminaries here. And they educated far more people.

Regardless of the system of law enforcement, it is only as good as the people who enforce it. If they have a blind spot, so too will the law

Slim Buddha
05-05-2013, 07:42 AM

I am talking about the will to enforce the law. It is no use having a constitution and a whole pile of statute law if the actual will to enforce it is absent.
That, I suggest, is the fundamental difference. We don´t have Jonathan Aitken´s or Jeffrey Archer´s.

Spectabilis
05-05-2013, 09:02 AM
We have had some cases in the area of sports. George Gibney and Derry O’Rourke abused a great many young people under the cover of their roles as swimming coaches. The Amateur Swimming Association protected the organisation rather than the young swimmers.
http://www.rte.ie/tv/scannal/swimming.html
Gárdaí are currently investigating a coach in Waterford. They have not said which sport, and I accept that that would be tantamount to naming an individual. However, it also makes it look as if another governing body of sport is protecting itself

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gardai-investigate-abuse-complaints-against-sports-coach-in-waterford-1.1368848

morticia
05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
You're right about the coaches, Spec, I'd forgotten those cases.

Re Britain though, consider what would be the likely outcome in the ENTIRELY hypothetical instance that say, one of the Royals or associated high aristocracy was found to have committed a string of sex offences (as opposed to affairs)

Chances are we'd never hear about it.

C. Flower
05-05-2013, 03:36 PM
You're right about the coaches, Spec, I'd forgotten those cases.

Re Britain though, consider what would be the likely outcome in the ENTIRELY hypothetical instance that say, one of the Royals or associated high aristocracy was found to have committed a string of sex offences (as opposed to affairs)

Chances are we'd never hear about it.

Well, we were never told about the string of affairs, were we ?

Simonsays
05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Just to point out that he hasn't been charged. He was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault, and bailed. A large number of cases where someone is arrested never go any further because when the police examine the evidence they find it doesn't stack up. So don't presume guilt at this stage. It is too soon to reach conclusions, until at least he is charged, if he is to be charged.

morticia
05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Well, we were never told about the string of affairs, were we ?

Well there were the slightly ripe transcripts from Charles' mobile phone in the early 1990's..,,course, since he's married to Camilla now it doesn't seem quite so scandalous. Then there was Prince Andrew and all the pre Fergie girlfriends.... But yeah, tip of the iceberg possibly...

C. Flower
06-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Well there were the slightly ripe transcripts from Charles' mobile phone in the early 1990's..,,course, since he's married to Camilla now it doesn't seem quite so scandalous. Then there was Prince Andrew and all the pre Fergie girlfriends.... But yeah, tip of the iceberg possibly...

It was the Duke of Edinburgh who was protected by the Press for decades.

morticia
06-05-2013, 07:47 AM
It was the Duke of Edinburgh who was protected by the Press for decades.

Allegedly, Cass, allegedly, wink. Best not to say that out loud, although I suspect ye doggies in the street are well aware...

Frankie Lee
12-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Daily Star trying to get people to focus on Charles' relationship with Savile again today.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/314185/CHARLES-LINKS-TO-SAVILE/

C. Flower
12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Daily Star trying to get people to focus on Charles' relationship with Savile again today.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/314185/CHARLES-LINKS-TO-SAVILE/

A note with the gifts read: “Nobody will ever know what you have done for this country, Jimmy. This is to go some way in thanking you for that.”