PDA

View Full Version : Lee Halpin - Job Seeking Journalism Applicant Dies of Hypothermia Sleeping on Streets for Story

C. Flower
06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Very sad - a young man, apparently desperate to get a journalism job with Channel 4, who advertised for "fearless" investigative journalists, has died on the streets in North East England, apparently of hypothermia.

http://www.channel4.com/news/lee-halpin-homeless-sleeping-rough-newcastle-investigation

Marian Finucane played his voice explaining that homelessness was rocketing, and that the bedroom tax (on empty rooms) is going to make things worse. It was clear that he was determined to prove himself in pursuit of the job. He was making a series of videos to support his application.

Many young people will never get a job in their chosen field, as middle class employment in the UK is now going the way that manufacturing went twenty years ago.

Count Bobulescu
06-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Not to make light of the situation, but careful what you wish for. I heard a piece on NPR this morning about a 45 year old journalist who got laid off and now makes three times as much as a long distance trucker. Go figure.

Count Bobulescu
06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Many young people will never get a job in their chosen field, as middle class employment in the UK is now going the way that manufacturing went twenty years ago.
Saw something on that very topic recently, I'll dig it out, but I'm not sure this is really the thread for it.

jmcc
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
-30- RIP.

Regards...jmcc

Seán Ryan
06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
RIP

Poor bastard. To add insult to injury, Channel 4's fearless investigative journalists are mostly myth and should one actually show up, well, you get what we've got here...