PDA

View Full Version : Another Labour Councillor Resigns from The Party

C. Flower
16-03-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.thejournal.ie/labour-has-lost-its-core-values-says-resigning-councillor-833399-Mar2013/

Another Councillor has resigned from the Labour Party in South Tipperary.

A TIPPERARY COUNCILLOR is to resign his seat and leave Labour over concerns that the party has “lost its core values”.
In a statement to TheJournal.ie, Bobby Fitzgerald confirmed he is formally resigning his Labour seat on South Tipperary County Council.
“It is regrettable that I have taken this course of action, however, I feel that the policy and the agenda pursued by the Labour party at national level is leading to untold hardship and misery to ordinary families and people which the Labour party should represent.”
The Carrick on Suir resident believes the party needs “real leadership” instead of forming part of a government that supports an economy which “benefits a few at the expense of most”.
He said he now intends to spend more time with his family and concentrate on his business interests (he is a managing partner and founding member of an accountancy and consultancy firm in Tipperary).

Cato
16-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Sindo Millward Brown opinion poll tomorrow; FF 29% +6% FG 25% +1% SF 20% -1% Lab 9% -2% Ind 16% -4%

Party leaders satisfaction rates (Satisfied / Dissatisfied):
Micheál Martin - 36% / 47%
Gerry Adams - 28% / 53%
Enda Kenny - 26% / 64%
Eamon Gilmore - 17% / 69%

Cato
16-03-2013, 06:45 PM
That is, I believe, six councillors that Labour have lost. Six members of the parliamentary party gone too (albeit still all members of the party).

jmcc
16-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Sindo Millward Brown opinion poll tomorrow; FF 29% +6% FG 25% +1% SF 20% -1% Lab 9% -2% Ind 16% -4%

Party leaders satisfaction rates (Satisfied / Dissatisfied):
Micheál Martin - 36% / 47%
Gerry Adams - 28% / 53%
Enda Kenny - 26% / 64%
Eamon Gilmore - 17% / 69%
Wonder if there'll be any moves on Gilmore and the Stickies? This sub 10% result has to focus some of them on their own political survival.

Regards...jmcc

Andrew49
16-03-2013, 06:57 PM
He mentions that Govt. policies are causing
"untold hardship and misery to ordinary families" Actually the hardship and misery - which this Govt. is imposing - is very well documented and gets plenty of airing and this Govt. revels in immiserating a large section of the citizens of this country. This ensures they get praise from the Troika and the Bundestag. Labour has to start engaging with Irish citizens - not representatives of the Troika or elements in the Bundestag. Kudos from those elements are worthless and demeaning.

Ceannaire
16-03-2013, 07:02 PM
What is particularly interesting about this resignation above other previous resignations is that he's resigned his seat altogether, so his resignation certainly can't be written off as an opportunistic re-election move.

This will add all the more force to his claim that the party has lost its "core values".

C. Flower
16-03-2013, 07:13 PM
There's an interview here.

http://www.tippfm.com/news/detail/resignation_from_south_tipperary_county_council

Cato
16-03-2013, 07:14 PM
What is particularly interesting about this resignation above other previous resignations is that he's resigned his seat altogether, so his resignation certainly can't be written off as an opportunistic re-election move.

This will add all the more force to his claim that the party has lost its "core values".

He had been co-opted onto the seat following Landy's move to the Seanad.

Ceannaire
16-03-2013, 07:17 PM
He had been co-opted onto the seat following Landy's move to the Seanad.

As I understand it, he still wasn't obliged to resign his seat.

Cato
16-03-2013, 07:53 PM
As I understand it, he still wasn't obliged to resign his seat.

Of that, I am aware, however the moral pressure to do so (I know, how quaint) surely demanded it.

DCon
27-09-2015, 11:27 AM
A TD goes

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dublin-td-leaves-labour-party-697864.html

TotalMayhem
27-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Worse things have happened...

Labour Deputy Michael McNamara and the granddaughter of former President Patrick Hillery tied the knot.

Link (http://clareherald.com/2015/09/gallery-clare-td-michael-mcnamara-marries-sarah-hillery‏/)

Richardbouvet
28-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Thats the banner county for you.

C. Flower
28-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Worse things have happened...

Labour Deputy Michael McNamara and the granddaughter of former President Patrick Hillery tied the knot.

Link (http://clareherald.com/2015/09/gallery-clare-td-michael-mcnamara-marries-sarah-hillery‏/)

I am asking myself (not much) whether this was a resignation based on principled opposition to what Labour is doing in Government, or a mealy-mouthed last minute attempt to salvage his seat.

Shaadi
28-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I am asking myself (not much) whether this was a resignation based on principled opposition to what Labour is doing in Government, or a mealy-mouthed last minute attempt to salvage his seat.Wonder no more, it's simply a case of his feeling a little shafted because Lab want to run 2 candidates not 1. He was happy to step aside for Rabbite to run, but with no Rabbite running he thought he should have been the single candidate. There's a bit of a smell of a stich up job being done on him, but really the guy had little chance anyway having only received approx 4,000 votes in 2011 and getting in on Rabbite's coat tail.

The only principle at stake was his own self interest and he's left himself in the odd position of being seen as neither Labour or Independent. He'd have been as well off taking his chance with Labour, they'd have paid for his campaign and seen him right with a follow up sinecure if and when he failed to take a seat.

C. Flower
28-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Wonder no more, it's simply a case of his feeling a little shafted because Lab want to run 2 candidates not 1. He was happy to step aside for Rabbite to run, but with no Rabbite running he thought he should have been the single candidate. There's a bit of a smell of a stich up job being done on him, but really the guy had little chance anyway having only received approx 4,000 votes in 2011 and getting in on Rabbite's coat tail.

The only principle at stake was his own self interest and he's left himself in the odd position of being seen as neither Labour or Independent. He'd have been as well off taking his chance with Labour, they'd have paid for his campaign and seen him right with a follow up sinecure if and when he failed to take a seat.

He could run for the "I'm Not Labour" party.