PDA

View Full Version : EU Counter Summit

C. Flower
21-02-2013, 09:48 PM
A useful review here of the event - organised by the ULA without the ULA ?

http://garrettmullan.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/review-of-the-counter-summit/

Questions asked - is the left putting all its eggs into the wrong basket in the property tax campaign, and should left parties call for the break up of the EU.

Paul Murphy on the anti-globalisation counter-summit phenomenon.

http://www.irishleftreview.org/2013/02/07/eu-presidency-countersummit-2013/

Anyone here go ?

unspecific
22-02-2013, 03:25 AM
It was an SP event. Caught a few talks on the livestream. Paul Murphy was excellent.

Eoin O Broin showed everyone else up at the inter-left debate. Not so much that property tax is a wrong basket, but the only basket(as O Broin perceives it).

From the floor, the SP publicly challenged the SWP to pull their weight within CAHWT and for SF and Campaign For Labour Policies to get behind the movement. All of which was necessary and useful.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
22-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Good to hear demands for a coherent and organised front. There's no time for rubberstamping all-inclusive manifestos.

It often strikes me that a vulnerability of social justice campaigns is that it is far behind the business interests when it comes reacting to an attack. The business interest seems to be able to shelve disagreements in the face of a threat much faster than various groups interested in social justice and if that could be surmounted in some way it would be the key factor in resistance to the commercial nazis on the prowl for pennies to lick at the expense of the nation.

Sam Lord
22-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Eoin O Broin showed everyone else up at the inter-left debate.

Eoin O Brion. Inter left debate. wtf.

When did Sinn Fein become "left"?

Things are worse than I thought .....

Ceannaire
23-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Eoin O Brion. Inter left debate. wtf.

When did Sinn Fein become "left"?

Things are worse than I thought .....

Ó Broin himself referred to Labour and Sinn Féin as "centre-left" rather than left parties during the debate.