PDA

View Full Version : What one event in history would you change if you could?

RahenyFG II
05-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I started this thread over in the other parish so I thought I would bring it over here to get folks' views here.

Crazy thought, suppose you were able to go back in time and change just one event in history what would it be?
It was tempting for me to say stop Diarmait Mac Murchada asking for King Henry II's help in regaining his kingdom which would eventually lead to the 800 year English conquest of Ireland, stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK or stop the Ulster Plantation from happening but I chose stopping the death of Michael Collins.
The trajectory of Irish history was no doubt greatly changed by his death. I think he could have been Taoiseach. He might have got a peaceful settlement from the Civil War which might have saved lives and possibly united Sinn Féin meaning we wouldn't have had the civil war politics we currently have today or he could have led the pro treaty Sinn Féin side with more focus on the democratic programme which the Cumann na nGaedhael government largely neglected or maybe his leadership wouldn't seen Fianna Fáil largely dominate Free State/Republic of Ireland politics. We may not have had De Valera as Taoiseach with his protectionism that destroyed the country and took years for it to recover.

fluffybiscuits
05-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Well if we did change it then we may not return to the same time line as quantam physics (think its that??) says that there is multiple eventualities for every event. Alternate History is a favourite topic of mine though, read loads of it. Read Making History by Stephen Fry, its a tale of someone who goes back in time and puts a contraceptive in the well of Hiters father so Hitler is never born, or The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth.

In a personal capacity, if I could change one event? perhaps arm the 1916 rising with info they would need to beat the British perhaps. Just to see what the result would be...

Ogiol
05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I started this thread over in the other parish so I thought I would bring it over here to get folks' views here.

Collins. Indeed its a good one, I have to agree that we may well have seen a less powerful FF, and probably a left right political divide.

Personally, and entering into the conjectural spirit of the thread, I have always maintained that the single most important moment in Irish history occoured in 1601, when the foolish Aodh Rua O Domhnaill, ordered his cavalry to advance, thus giving an opportunity to the english to eventually rout the gaels and win the battle of Kinsale.

Why, you may ask?

Well, had the english lost that battle it would most probably led to the end of their power in Ireland, (they were bankrupt because of the wars on the continent) allowing for a unitary gaelic kingdom, which would certainly have signed a hasty treaty with spain and maybe france. This in turn would have meant the maintaining of the traditional gaelic way of life, (patterns of patronage,- bards, etc. and the maintianing of the language as one of the upper and lower classes. We would quite possibly be like portugal are now: a small state beside a bigger neighbour, but with our own cultural heritage and language.

It may also have meant no english colonisation of america and possibly even an Irish colony over there, who knows.

It was a big moment though, and from my point of view, went wrong because of a silly tactical mistake by an irish commander. :(

:D