PDA

View Full Version : Where Next for the Labour Party? Labour Party Members Workshop 23rd Feb 2013

C. Flower
03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
There seems to be what I would describe as a low level ferment of political activity at the moment across all parts of the left, as positions, direction, alliances are tested by changing conditions. There is more writing, and there are more internal discussions and events.

Where Next for the Labour Party? A workshop for Labour Party Members

Where Next for the Labour Party?
A workshop for Labour Party Members
Saturday 23rd February - registration 1.30pm - Gresham Hotel (O'Connell Street)

Budget 2013 marked the end of Labour's second year in government. It also marked the second regressive budget in a row, and, for the second year in a row, inequality in Ireland is now expected to rise. It is incredible that this has been the impact of Labour in government, and Budget 2013 has been a turning point for many Labour members.

A number of members are coming together on Saturday February 23rd in the Gresham Hotel to discuss Where Next for the Labour Party?

The workshop is open to all Labour members. We want to start a conversation about the future role and purpose of the Labour party. We want to go back to basics, and remember why we joined Labour, why we are still in Labour and, what it is we want for the future of Labour.

The majority of the workshop will focus in on the ideas and priorities of participants, with plenty time for discussion with other members;

1.30pm: Registration
2pm: Opening speakers: Peter McVerry and Cllr. Cian O'Callaghan

2.30pm: Round-table group conversations on the future we want for Labour:
1) Why did you join the Labour party?
2) What are the positives and negatives of Labour as it stands today?
3) What needs to be improved about the Labour Party?
4) What can we do as members to improve the Labour Party?

3.15pm: Feedback from round-table discussions and full group discussion

Please join us there, and spread the word to all Labour members.

Sam Lord
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Not sure why you are describing this as part of political activity on the part of the "left". When was the Labour Party ever "left"?

The promotional material for the meeting gives the impression that the Labour Party has somehow changed in recent years and they have to get back to their real essence. This is a joke. It is the same Labour Paty with the same sort of politics that has existed for decades.

riposte
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Not sure why you are describing this as part of political activity on the part of the "left". When was the Labour Party ever "left"?

The promotional material for the meeting gives the impression that the Labour Party has somehow changed in recent years and they have to get back to their real essence. This is a joke. It is the same Labour Paty with the same sort of politics that has existed for decades.

Sam .. I don't know where Cass got that promo .... but I don't think it has the imprimatur of The Labour Party ....... more like an attempt to set-up a party...... within a party. Remember Micheael D. Higgins?

fluffybiscuits
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Wouldnt it be fun tio just infilatrate...:)

C. Flower
03-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Sam .. I don't know where Cass got that promo .... but I don't think it has the imprimatur of The Labour Party ....... more like an attempt to set-up a party...... within a party. Remember Micheael D. Higgins?

Labour's answer to The FF Independents?

The Campaign for Real Labour, or whatever it is / was called, does not appear to have rocked many boats.

There is a feel of these groups that it is more about providing themselves and the Labour Party with a little bit of left cover than about anything else.

Hard to tell what this group is, or is for.

Mick Tully
03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
The LP will need more than a workshop to repair the damage done by their association with the WP. I know this would not appeal to members of the LP, but a trip to Lourdes, or the Knock shrine, they deal with hopeless causes.