PDA

View Full Version : Irish Government Gives 7 Million to promote civil war in Syria.

riposte
30-01-2013, 09:07 AM
The Irish government has upped it's contribution to the civil war in Syria to 7 million euro.

Any ideas on how I could best go about launching a campaign to have this abuse of Irish taxpayers money stopped?

Lots of better uses for this money.

http://www.thejournal.ie/a-further-e4-7-million-in-irish-aid-pledged-for-humanitarian-crisis-in-syria-774701-Jan2013/

fluffybiscuits
30-01-2013, 10:32 AM
The Irish government has upped it's contribution to the civil war in Syria to 7 million euro.

Any ideas on how I could best go about launching a campaign to have this abuse of Irish taxpayers money stopped?

Lots of better uses for this money.

http://www.thejournal.ie/a-further-e4-7-million-in-irish-aid-pledged-for-humanitarian-crisis-in-syria-774701-Jan2013/

A statement from the Department of Foreign Affairs said funding from Irish Aid will be provided to international agencies on the ground including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Childrens Fund (UNICEF) and Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) as well as the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

Riposte that comes across as fairly disingenious. Its towards helping the civlian population as per the quoted section of the article. Your misleading thread title would nearly lead people to believe we had somehow armed the rebels with weapons to continue fighting. The people are in refugee camps. Would be helpful if you could be a little more accurate and precise with your thread titles and posts to save us all the hassle of reading irrelevant info.

riposte
30-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Riposte that comes across as fairly disingenious. Its towards helping the civlian population as per the quoted section of the article. Your misleading thread title would nearly lead people to believe we had somehow armed the rebels with weapons to continue fighting. The people are in refugee camps. Would be helpful if you could be a little more accurate and precise with your thread titles and posts to save us all the hassle of reading irrelevant info.

I think the Thread title is perfectly ok. The thread is not about thread titles ........ so I'd be glad if you didn't keep going off topic.

Cruimh
30-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Please expand.
How does giving munchies to the fugees promote civil war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm8yQOHOkaQ

Simonsays
30-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Ridiculous thread title.

riposte
30-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Ridiculous thread title.

Thanks.

C. Flower
30-01-2013, 08:02 PM
There was a debate about the aid on Newstalk this evening, but I only caught the end of it. One contributor was, I think, saying that we don't know who the money is going to.

RahenyFG II
30-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Ireland should give no foreign aid to any country in our economic situation. As they say charity starts at home and we're screwed up.

fluffybiscuits
31-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I think the Thread title is perfectly ok. The thread is not about thread titles ........ so I'd be glad if you didn't keep going off topic.

As per another thread there is no evidence what so ever for the assertion from what I can see. Change the thread title to a more accurate title or delete teh thread.

Ogiol
31-01-2013, 12:19 PM
As per another thread there is no evidence what so ever for the assertion from what I can see. Change the thread title to a more accurate title or delete teh thread.

But fluff, if money is being given to syria, and we dont know exactly where its going, then surely there must be a genuine suspicion of whether or not that money is being used to fuel the civil war.

fluffybiscuits
31-01-2013, 12:37 PM
But fluff, if money is being given to syria, and we dont know exactly where its going, then surely there must be a genuine suspicion of whether or not that money is being used to fuel the civil war.

Thejournal.ie above cited the DFA as saying

A statement from the Department of Foreign Affairs said funding from Irish Aid will be provided to international agencies on the ground including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Childrens Fund (UNICEF) and Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) as well as the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)

It wouldnt be beyond impossible to think they didnt learn from Uganda though...

Ogiol
31-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Thejournal.ie above cited the DFA as saying

It wouldnt be beyond impossible to think they didnt learn from Uganda though...

Nor would it be beyond credulity that the U.S. embassy is telling them what to do and giving them a cover story.....

Richardbouvet
31-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I would not agree with opposing this aid purely because we are not completely certain it is going to its intended purpose. The probability is that our govt are at least expecting it to.

I think it is perfectly OK to demand the maximum information about what is being done with it, but I would only oppose giving the money if there was any evidence of it being wrongly used.

riposte
31-01-2013, 02:49 PM

More to the point Ogiol ...... Eamon Gimore, The Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs demanded the Asad step down.

Ireland is supposed to be a neutral county....... but it clearly has been taking sides in the civil war in Syria.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tanaiste-calls-for-syrian-president-to-step-down-310086-Dec2011/