PDA

View Full Version : Old Wives Tales...

fluffybiscuits
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Just following on from a point that Eliphant made. I remember that my grandmother used to use sea water for her gout. Does anyone remember any wives old tales of cures? (please note see a doctor if you have problems, this is a thread to discuss old wives tales!).

Ephilant
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
As I'm getting blamed for this ;)

Here you go: headcold? Runny nose of the really bad kind?

CHEW dried Sage. Yes, chew, don't swallow. just chew, like gum, or tobacco. It dries the mucus in no time.

bernadette
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Suffering from corns. Walk in the sea allowing the sand, grit to rub the toes. The corns will go, or so my mother always said.

fluffybiscuits
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
As I'm getting blamed for this ;)

Here you go: headcold? Runny nose of the really bad kind?

CHEW dried Sage. Yes, chew, don't swallow. just chew, like gum, or tobacco. It dries the mucus in no time.

You are to blame ;) hehe !

Saoirse go Deo
02-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Never plough wild barley(or was it oats?), or you'll be cursed. Nan always said that, I think it has something to do with the United Irishmen.

Andrew49
02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Bathing in beer has rejuvenating effect and offsets aging.

fluffybiscuits
02-07-2012, 05:21 PM

till the following morning! ;)

I remember getting ring worm blessed with a wedding ring and someone saying the Hail Mary three times as a kid while rubbing the ring on it !

Andrew49
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
till the following morning! ;)

I remember getting ring worm blessed with a wedding ring and someone saying the Hail Mary three times as a kid while rubbing the ring on it !

The nuns used to paint my hands with Purple Gentian ... not sure if it did anything for the burns but - my goodness - the blisters displayed a beatific and wondrous kaleidoscope!

The Purple Gentian DID prevent infection setting in though.

Ephilant
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
As young lads we used to peel an onion and cut it in half. We used to put half an onion in our armpit, which would result in temporary symptoms of high fever. Mum would be called, feel the forehad and give the all clear for a day off. Great when you didn't feel like school or harvesting on the farms or anything...
I never actually found out if this really worked or if Mum just smelled the onion and decided to give us the day off.

Andrew49
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
As young lads we used to peel an onion and cut it in half. We used to put half an onion in our armpit, which would result in temporary symptoms of high fever. Mum would be called, feel the forehad and give the all clear for a day off. Great when you didn't feel like school or harvesting on the farms or anything...
I never actually found out if this really worked or if Mum just smelled the onion and decided to give us the day off.

An onion also cut in half will draw the stinger and the venom from a wasp sting - it leaves a scar though :(

Ephilant
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
An onion also cut in half will draw the stinger and the venom from a wasp sting - it leaves a scar though :(
depending on how young the victim is, scars can completely disappear if treated 4 x daily with wheatgerm oil. It takes months, but works a treat. One of my daughters was bitten in the face by a dog when she was 4, and ended up with serious puncture marks on her cheek. Our local doctor told us what to do, it took nearly 8 months, but there was no sign of the bite marks. That woman saved our girl a lot of trauma!

5intheface
02-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Surely that would make it a young wives tale?