PDA

View Full Version : The Barclay Brothers, Sark Island and Silent Dissent

fluffybiscuits
28-06-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/27/barclays-sark-newsletter?INTCMP=SRCH

I thought this story was captivating. Two of the Barclay brothers have bought up a lot of the Channel island of Sark. There has been allegations of defamation and competition being stifled (four of the six hotels on the island are owned by the brothers). Read the article and make of it what you will. Love a good read :)

Ephilant
28-06-2012, 04:26 PM
There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Although Sark is commonly thought of as part of the Channel Island, it is in fact neither part of the United Kingdom or Great Britain, nor is it member or associate member of the EU. Sark has its own set of laws and its own Parliament.
And here is the interesting bit, residents are taxed on their perceived capital, sometimes referred to as a "Visible Wealth Tax". Tax demands are modest, amounting to an average of less than 200 per Islander. Most of the revenue raised goes to help "the poor". Income is not taxed. A nice little beauty of a place to set up business, providing you have the support of a specific number of the 600 or so permanent residents.

fluffybiscuits
28-06-2012, 10:19 PM
There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Although Sark is commonly thought of as part of the Channel Island, it is in fact neither part of the United Kingdom or Great Britain, nor is it member or associate member of the EU. Sark has its own set of laws and its own Parliament.
And here is the interesting bit, residents are taxed on their perceived capital, sometimes referred to as a "Visible Wealth Tax". Tax demands are modest, amounting to an average of less than 200 per Islander. Most of the revenue raised goes to help "the poor". Income is not taxed. A nice little beauty of a place to set up business, providing you have the support of a specific number of the 600 or so permanent residents.

So its like a gentlemans club basically? I was reading up more on the island.Perhaps they should use this against the Barclay Brothers....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sark

Clameur de Haro
Among the old laws of the Channel Islands is the old Norman custom of the Clameur de Haro. Using this legal device, a person can obtain immediate cessation of any action he considers to be an infringement of his rights. At the scene, he must, in front of witnesses, recite the Lord's Prayer in French and cry out "Haro, Haro, Haro! mon aide mon Prince, on me fait tort!"[19] ("Haro, Haro, Haro! To my aid, my Prince! I am being wronged!"). It should then be registered with the Greffe Office within 24 hours. All actions against the person must then cease until the matter is heard by the Court. The last Clameur recorded on Sark was raised in June 1970 to prevent the construction of a garden wall. The last Clameur de Haro was in fact in 1989 when Paul Armogie, Stocks Hotel, performed one in the patch of land alongside the hotel where John Cubbins was having a property built. On the first dig of the JCB he successfully halted the work which was subsequently stopped until the end of that summer season when it began again..[7]

Here is their response too to the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/27/barclay-brothers-advocates-full-response?newsfeed=true

I didnt bother reading it as I got bored.... :D