PDA

View Full Version : Boat Race Interrupted by Protest Swimmer / Blogger

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
The blogger who interrupted the boat race -

THIS IS A PROTEST, AN ACT OF CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, A METHODOLOGY OF REFUSING AND RESISTANCE. THIS ACT HAS EMPLOYED GUERRILLA TACTICS. I AM SWIMMING INTO THE BOATS IN THE HOPE I CAN STOP THEM FROM COMPLETING THE RACE AND PROPOSING THE RETURN OF SURPRISE TACTICS. THIS IS ‘PEACEFUL’ ... I HAVE NO WEAPONS (DON’T SHOOT!) MY ONLY FEAR, IS NOT SWIMMING FAST ENOUGH TO GET IN THE RIGHT POSITION TO PREVENT THE BOATS.

http://elitismleadstotyranny.squarespace.com/

The official Oxford-Cambridge Boatrace site with video and reports on "possibly the most eventful boatrace ever"

http://www.theboatrace.org/

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 03:31 PM
More from the very interesting blog -

It is likely many in the western Baby Boomers generation (large percentage of the UK population), who have benefited so much from these institutions, are finding it very difficult to consider that these institutions might now be turning against them, their children and their grandchildren?

Could what is happening in the UK (and around the world); the state of exception with Olympics, the wholesale removal of countless civil rights, the project to create fear and suspicion of others, the transfer of our money into the vaults of a handful of corporations, the ongoing wars, the pomp and ceremony for unelected official anniversaries, the amazingly high unemployment, the devastation to public services such as health and education, the isolation of education due to high fees, the entangled corrupt relationship between the media, police and politicians, the racism, the increasing misogyny, the forced labour in supermarkets, the spying on our emails, skype calls, the control of food production and distribution and the reductions of tax burdens for the richest ... could these all be best understood as the process of enclosure? Do we resist now setting out to avoid something akin to slavery and imperialism? Or do we hesitate and find ourselves and our children without agency once again and in a long battle to gain it again? How long might it take and how many lives might this demand?

Part of my inspiration for today’s action comes from a protest action that took place 99 years ago – when Emily Davison ran into Epson Derby race. On the 4 June 1913 Emily ran into the horse that the king had entered. She died from the injuries sustained from action. She was demanding rights for women. It was an individual act born of a political and philosophical position. This action is also part inspired by the anti-imperialism activists and guerrillas. This includes trans-Atlantic slaves who not only forced their freedom by revolting but undertook tactics of breaking tools, working slowly, acts of sabotage, feigning illness and maintaining their cultures. They found ways to continually undermine the system in small and large ways.

The suggested means of protest at the end of the blog in many cases would just lead to someone losing their job fairly quickly. Perhaps the blogger is very young and has never had an encounter with a workplace.

Political frustration is building up: we are going to see all kinds of protest, traditional and novel.

Baron von Biffo
07-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Perhaps he's a complete arsehole. No, wait a sec, there's no perhaps about it, he is a complete arsehole.

"Setting off Fire Alarms in buildings where we work, perhaps at strategic times, when a particular meeting is meant to happen that will agree the cutting of services, for example? (This action seems morally okay as all the emergency services happily deployed vast numbers to participate in the filming of a Bond movie the other weekend on Whitehall)."

'What ho chaps, let's play silly buggers with fire alarms. What could possibly go wrong?'

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Perhaps he's a complete arsehole. No, wait a sec, there's no perhaps about it, he is a complete arsehole.

"Setting off Fire Alarms in buildings where we work, perhaps at strategic times, when a particular meeting is meant to happen that will agree the cutting of services, for example? (This action seems morally okay as all the emergency services happily deployed vast numbers to participate in the filming of a Bond movie the other weekend on Whitehall)."

'What ho chaps, let's play silly buggers with fire alarms. What could possibly go wrong?'

I know. The opening blog is coherent and thoughtful. The concluding proposals read as though written by a demented kid brother of the first writer.

Dr. FIVE
07-04-2012, 08:34 PM
pesky oiks!

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
pesky oiks!

Good swimmer though :D

Baron von Biffo
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
pesky oiks!

Jolly old Trenners is no oik you cad!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/07/article-2126492-128102D2000005DC-203_296x256.jpg

Form no less authoritative source than DavidIcke.com :-

"Privately-educated Trenton Oldfield, from Whitechapel, London, graduated from the elite London School of Economics in 2008 with an MSc in Contemporary Urbanism. He is also a fellow Royal Society of Arts.

According to his profile on LinkedIn, he has worked and volunteered on a number of charities, trusts and community organisations.

Five years ago he helped found This Is Not A Gateway, which ‘creates platforms for critical projects and ideas related to cities’, with fellow activist Deepa Naik.

The pair co-fund the organisation out of their own ’earnings’.

On LinkedIn Oldfield describes himself as: ‘Rich, open minded, multi-disciplinary, efficient, focused, intelligent, honest, unique.’ "

It's not everyone has a masters in 'Contemporary Urbanism'.

DCon
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
One of the young tory rowers is not happy

"Finally to Trenton Oldfiled (sic); my team went through seven months of hell, this was the culmination of our careers and you took it from us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/17645929

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Crossover between, art, politics, and loss of marbles.

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 08:46 PM
One of the young tory rowers is not happy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/17645929

I think that was exactly his point. Although as the Baron points out, Trenton himself was at the culmination of a long road of critical preparations for creative urbanism.

Their paths transected.

Dr. FIVE
07-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Crossover between, art, politics, and loss of marbles.

lolz

Baron von Biffo
07-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Shades of Fr. Neil Horan about him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/Neil_Horan.jpg/400px-Neil_Horan.jpg

Athens Olympics Marathon incident - YouTube

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=Baron von Biffo;239173]Shades of Fr. Neil Horan about him.

What point do you think Horan is trying to make ?

Baron von Biffo
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Shades of Fr. Neil Horan about him.

What point do you think Horan is trying to make ?

You don't have to get wet to make a dick of yourself?

Sam Lord
07-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Sounds like he read the CIA Simple Sabotage Field Manual.

Amongst other things, it tells you how to block up toilets using sponges .. :)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3316541/CIA-Simple-Sabotage-Manual

C. Flower
07-04-2012, 10:34 PM

"Make faulty decisions"

The whole system is sabotaging itself. :confused:

Baron von Biffo
07-04-2012, 11:25 PM

For those times when 11 pints and a couple of spice burgers aren't to be had.

DCon
07-04-2012, 11:41 PM
For those times when 11 pints and a couple of spice burgers aren't to be had.

ah, the spice burger. Dublin's sole contribution to culinary excellence!

Ah Well
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM

The Spice Burger is alive ... just about :)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/popular-spice-burger-saved-as-walsh-firm-is-taken-over-3009170.html

Sam Lord
08-04-2012, 12:30 AM

Was the batter burger not also Dub?

DCon
08-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Was the batter burger not also Dub?

not in the same league as the spice burger.

DCon
08-04-2012, 01:35 AM
The Spice Burger is alive ... just about :)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/popular-spice-burger-saved-as-walsh-firm-is-taken-over-3009170.html

they need to export that.

Also sell it in a microwaveable package so folk can have some in the fridge for apres pub consuming, without risking burning the house down

C. Flower
08-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Off-topic! This man, whatever you think of him, risked his life and liberty to make a point. As a result of seriously off-topic posting, this thread is now in need of colonic irrigation.

Baron von Biffo
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Off-topic! This man, whatever you think of him, risked his life and liberty to make a point. As a result of seriously off-topic posting, this thread is now in need of colonic irrigation.

The only point he was making is that he's an arrogant, narcissistic, idiot who thinks he has the right to do whatever he wants to get a bit of attention for himself.

Sam Lord
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
It's actually refreshing to see a former public rower and graduate of the London School of Economics taking a stand against eliteism.

Baron von Biffo
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
It's actually refreshing to see a former public rower and graduate of the London School of Economics taking a stand against eliteism.

And if, like Neil Horan, he destroyed the medal hopes of an Olympic runner, would that also meet with your approval?

Sam Lord
08-04-2012, 08:56 PM
And if, like Neil Horan, he destroyed the medal hopes of an Olympic runner, would that also meet with your approval?

I wouldn't look on the Oxford-Cambridge boat race and the Olympic games in the same manner.

5intheface
08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Me and my mate went down to see the boat-race but found it very boring so we decided to do something more exciting...so we stopped watching the boat-race.

This joke is now out of copyright.

Baron von Biffo
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't look on the Oxford-Cambridge boat race and the Olympic games in the same manner.

Would it be ok for someone whose sporting preferences were not the same as yours to nobble an Olympic runner to make some point?

Sam Lord
08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Would it be ok for someone whose sporting preferences were not the same as yours to nobble an Olympic runner to make some point?

Sorry. When I said "I wouldn't look on" I was really trying to convey that objectively the two events were not the same. I didn't mean it as a personal preference.

fluffybiscuits
09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Put into context lads, most of those in the Oxbrige race would be upper class snotty types who have never once probably had to worry about money of any sort as mammy and daddy can afford to pay for everything. As a result their aims in life extend to winning a poxy boat race, quaffing as much Dom Pergnon as possible and have a jolly good time in the Gentlemans club regailing each other with tales of months spent looking down their noses at orphan kids in Africa when they tried to humanise themselves somewhat. The latter part of the bloggers comments about arms is way off the mark but the rest of his intentions are perfectly fine and commendable. He should have brought some of his mates and done as much interruption as possible, throw a few fishing nets in, throw a few buckets of water around...

C. Flower
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Put into context lads, most of those in the Oxbrige race would be upper class snotty types who have never once probably had to worry about money of any sort as mammy and daddy can afford to pay for everything. As a result their aims in life extend to winning a poxy boat race, quaffing as much Dom Pergnon as possible and have a jolly good time in the Gentlemans club regailing each other with tales of months spent looking down their noses at orphan kids in Africa when they tried to humanise themselves somewhat. The latter part of the bloggers comments about arms is way off the mark but the rest of his intentions are perfectly fine and commendable. He should have brought some of his mates and done as much interruption as possible, throw a few fishing nets in, throw a few buckets of water around...

I don't think he's calling for arms, but he is saying things come at a price -

...Could what is happening in the UK (and around the world); the state of exception with Olympics, the wholesale removal of countless civil rights, the project to create fear and suspicion of others, the transfer of our money into the vaults of a handful of corporations, the ongoing wars, the pomp and ceremony for unelected official anniversaries, the amazingly high unemployment, the devastation to public services such as health and education, the isolation of education due to high fees, the entangled corrupt relationship between the media, police and politicians, the racism, the increasing misogyny, the forced labour in supermarkets, the spying on our emails, skype calls, the control of food production and distribution and the reductions of tax burdens for the richest ... could these all be best understood as the process of enclosure? Do we resist now setting out to avoid something akin to slavery and imperialism? Or do we hesitate and find ourselves and our children without agency once again and in a long battle to gain it again? How long might it take and how many lives might this demand?

fluffybiscuits
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't think he's calling for arms, but he is saying things come at a price -

He has painted an almost or what is an Orwellian world. People are living in fear for their jobs (I am at the moment as are most of my friends) . He has a point and a very strong one at that, the world is divided. If people did take up arms I wouldnt agree but its understandable why they would...