PDA

View Full Version : Ruairi Quinn Mileage Claims - Are there Questions to be Answered

C. Flower
27-02-2012, 12:45 PM
The Story has been doing some forensic work on Ruairi Quinn's travel expenses.

The revelation follows last week’s exclusive report showing that Mr Quinn claimed for 5,100kms during July, when his official diary also showed less than 1,000km worth of trips.
Mr Quinn has since defended his mileage claims – which earned him more than €10,000 tax-free last year on top of his salary and allowances.
He said other officials used his car to shuttle to and from Leinster House and insisted the detail of his claims was ‘all there for people to see’.
Despite that assurance, however, he is once again refusing to explain his August mileage claim or to allow the Irish Mail on Sunday to *verify his mileage claims against his car’s *odometer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106567/Ruairi-Quinn-claims-2-800KM-9-days-work.html#ixzz1naOC4xQk

It appears that he has claimed for 2,800 kilometres driving in one month, although he only worked 9 days that month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106567/Ruairi-Quinn-claims-2-800KM-9-days-work.html

The Ruairi Quinn Mileage Claims – Part Two

Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn has been asked to explain a second expenses claim, this time relating to a month in which he spent 22 days on holiday.

In August 2011, Mr Quinn signed off on a claim for 2,800 kilometres worth around E800 despite the fact his official diary shows that he was working for only nine days that month.

That works out at an average of 311 kilometres every day, the equivalent of a round-trip to Waterford on each working day, about four hours driving time.

His diary makes apparent less than 1,000 kilometres of the total that was claimed for, including two trips to Maynooth and a trip to Clifden.

Here is the detailed story I wrote about this expense claim.

Also published here are Minister Quinn’s expense claims for the period between March and the end of August 2011, and those of his colleague in the Department of Education Ciaran Cannon over a similar period.

Ruairi Quinn’s official diary for August 2011, which lists him as having been on holiday from August 6 to August 28 – apart from a single day – can also be examined.

:

Links to claims and diaries via The Story -

http://thestory.ie/2012/02/27/the-ruairi-quinn-mileage-claims-part-two/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thestory%2FQSEJ+%28The+Story% 29

As a side note, why on earth should a name of a person "helping select paintings for the Minister's room at Leinster House" be redacted ??

C. Flower
02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
A resounding silence on this, conveniently buried under a sea of toner cartridges.

Did Quinn ever respond?

Lest we forget --

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php%3Ft%3D11020&sa=U&ei=CLxQT_qlJInP0QXW6pn7Cw&ved=0CAYQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGoglmanaTtYGf8lPopLTUE1Z8wtQ

culmore
02-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Never heard any answer, but the Shinners cant ask anymore as thet are also bust with theri snouts in the trough, but we need answers

disability student
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
The Shinners paid back some 3K so far but Quinn hadn't paid it back nor admitted it. It's the reason that Quinn spoke out re Internet as he probably knew it that his mileage expenses story would end there rather than the main media pro establishment supporters, who would shield and protect him.

Anyway, Quinn's reputation has gone down in my estimation and he isn't honest with us as he would like us to think.

So Quinn mileage expenses story deserves to be pursued and he refused to answer it by referring to his dept/Brendan Howlin.

disability student
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
His mileage expenses story - would that story run and run & sink him or he survive in the event that he seeks to retain his seat in the next GE???

DCon
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
No air miles for Ruairi.

He is being left at home to run the country while the Paddy's day jollies are happening

C. Flower
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Never heard any answer, but the Shinners cant ask anymore as thet are also bust with theri snouts in the trough, but we need answers

None of them will pursue it. They are all up to the ears in it - even the "Independents".

I got a full colour leaflet through my door last week, from the ULA, a very small organisation with a 5€ a member annual charge.

Who paid for that ?

None of the TDs are interested in shrinking the trough.

Baron von Biffo
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
None of them will pursue it. They are all up to the ears in it - even the "Independents".

I got a full colour leaflet through my door last week, from the ULA, a very small organisation with a 5€ a member annual charge.

Who paid for that ?

None of the TDs are interested in shrinking the trough.

You did. And I did. And the kid who needs an SNA did.

I seem to recall that it was conceded here that part of the reason the alphabet soup retains separate identities rather than congealing into the ULA is to retain all those party leader allowances.

DCon
07-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Quinn being interviewed on newstalk.

Says we need to be nice to the Troika and pay the Anglo debt as the Troika pay his salary and the Gardai, nurses and teachers...

Says our "overdraft" should be turned into a long term mortgage

No mention of his mileage claims.

disability student
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Is there any way of reporting this to the proper authorities just like someone did to Callely?

Troubleshooter
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
How many SNAs would you get for these claims ,form all these Ministers

disability student
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
How many SNAs would you get for these claims ,form all these Ministers

No need for that, it was the same minister who has made the decision regarding the SNA's which was disgraceful and also at the same time, lining up in his pockets re possible misuse of mileage & other expenses that these politicans are manipulating for their own ends.

Double standards operate in the political scence such as this as if you manipulate something for your own benefit, you get jailed not these politicans. So hence the pressing need for law to put them same in level playing field as ourselves.

In my case, if apply for mileage expenses and get remibursed by my employer, then i will be taxed for benefit in kind by the revenue commissioners. Here Quinn get reimbursed by the state but not treated as BIK. That is a double standard.

Troubleshooter
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
He is the same Minister that has cut mileage allowances for parents who are driving their special needs kids all over the country to try and get services for them that are not available near their own homes because he and his government have cut these services

ang
02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Ken Foxe (Mail on Sunday) guest blogging over on the story.ie - Ruairi Quinn and his Galway holiday home mileage claims :-

The mystery of Ruairi Quinn’s unusually high mileage has finally been solved, as he was claiming for trips to and from his holiday home

http://thestory.ie/2012/04/02/ruairi-quinn-and-his-galway-holiday-home-mileage-claims/

DCon
08-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Ken Foxe (Mail on Sunday) guest blogging over on the story.ie - Ruairi Quinn and his Galway holiday home mileage claims :-

http://thestory.ie/2012/04/02/ruairi-quinn-and-his-galway-holiday-home-mileage-claims/

Apparently its all good, as Quinn works in the car..

His spokeswoman said: ”All of Minister Quinn’s claims for expenses and mileage are strictly in accordance with the arrangements outlined by the government.

The Minister is often required to interrupt his holidays to attend official functions and undertake government business.

In order to carry out his considerable workload at the Department of Education and Skills, the Minister carries confidential official papers in the car and works while on route to his destinations. This is considered to be official travel.

The drivers of the minister are entitled to claim for subsistence when on official business, again all of which are in accordance with the guidelines.

As has been pointed out to you on several occasions, the Minister’s electronic diary does not reflect all official uses of the car.

disability student
08-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Apparently its all good, as Quinn works in the car..

Do you believe all that crap coming from his dept spokesperson??

For once, i don't believe it or Quinn's version. He kept changing his explanation as he didn't offer that explanation in the first place.:mad: