PDA

View Full Version : Spent convictions bill?

damo
19-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I have been unable to find any up to date information about this bill. Would greatly appreciate if anyone knows more about if/when it may be passed. I have an old careless driving conviction which still hangs over me when applying for jobs.

Any information greatly appreciated!

Baron von Biffo
19-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I have been unable to find any up to date information about this bill. Would greatly appreciate if anyone knows more about if/when it may be passed. I have an old careless driving conviction which still hangs over me when applying for jobs.

Any information greatly appreciated!

Welcome to PW Damo.

This link (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP11000077) is to a speech by Shatter on the bill you refer to. It's somewhat confusing as he begins by saying that the government wont be opposing it at second stage but ends by saying they they will be bringing in their own bill "as soon as a small number of outstanding issues have been resolved". That always means they will be voting down the opposition bill.

You could try emailing the Dept for more information. [email protected]

Baron von Biffo
19-02-2012, 08:28 PM
If you want to keep an eye on its progress bookmark this link (http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/bills28/bills/2011/1511/document1.htm).

damo
19-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the info,

That speech was from last Summer, is it normal for a "small" number of outstanding issues to take this long to be resolved? Is there any hope that this bill will be introduced some time this year? Clearly it is necessary to have such a law in place, like it is in most other European countries. However I despair at having to rely on the Irish political class to implement changes which affect my future employment prospects.

Baron von Biffo
19-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info,

That speech was from last Summer, is it normal for a "small" number of outstanding issues to take this long to be resolved? Is there any hope that this bill will be introduced some time this year?

Those are 'how long is a piece of string?' questions I'm afraid. It will probably boil down to how much importance Shatter attaches to it.

eamo
19-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi and welcome damo, if you seen tomo tell him to get his a$$ in here. This forum needs more mos:)
ps as far as the conviction is concerned I recon you are life-long-f**ked. Naaaa only messing:D I recon you will be clear in ten or twelve years.