PDA

View Full Version : Who's behind the Labour Members Forum?

PaddyJoe
14-02-2012, 05:19 PM
H/T to Madame Poulet:)
A group called the Labour Members Forum is organising a meeting on Saturday 18th February in Wynn’s Hotel in Dublin

A group of grassroots Labour members from a broad range of constituencies have come together to start a discussion about how we as members believe our party can deliver on the values of the Labour Party. We are organising a Labour Party Members’ Forum, “What can Labour do in government?” on Saturday 18th February in Wynn’s Hotel in Dublin. The Forum is aimed at grassroots members of the Labour party, to hear and debate alternative policy solutions to Ireland’s social and economic challenges.
Interesting development and not before time.
Anybody know more about this?
http://www.mamanpoulet.com/labour-members-meet-to-talk-about-policy-alternatives/

Dr. FIVE
14-02-2012, 09:05 PM
FF waited till the IMF came in to start worrying about their eh, true values.

concernedparent
14-02-2012, 09:52 PM
H/T to Madame Poulet:)
A group called the Labour Members Forum is organising a meeting on Saturday 18th February in Wynn’s Hotel in Dublin

Interesting development and not before time.
Anybody know more about this?
http://www.mamanpoulet.com/labour-members-meet-to-talk-about-policy-alternatives/

They can start by pulling the plug on the shower of chancers, who have misled, recanted and bent over backwards to facilitate the downright annihilation of this country. :mad:

jmcc
14-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Must be a split in the offing. :)

Regards...jmcc

Tuogid
14-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Maybe real labour people want to leave the Stickies?

culmore
14-02-2012, 10:01 PM
more looney lefts

jmcc
14-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Maybe real labour people want to leave the Stickies?Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Labour resembles the last days of the Soviet Union with aging stickies dominating the politburo. Now that these people have got their snouts in the trough, they've forgotten about the people (the electorate) who put them there. If Labour doesn't do something quickly, it is going the way of the Greens at the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

antiestablishmentarian
15-02-2012, 03:11 AM
I'd say a split could be in the offing, if they can find a figurehead TD or MEP to call on Labour members to either 1. Leave en masse and help found a 'New Labour'; or 2. Try to expel the Cabinet members and LPP from the Labour Party, then perhaps the Labour grassroots can save itself from the same fate of FF and prove themselves to have a sense of principle the FFkers lack.

unspecific
15-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I wonder if it is Labour Left? It is about time they made a move, perhaps they had agreed to give them a year no matter what.

To be honest, and I would say this.. but their best bet is to join the ULA as a component party. They would probably be the largest grouping and would be leaving a toxic brand/joining a rising brand.

Baron von Biffo
16-02-2012, 03:36 PM
"The reality is I suppose that we're only a third of the Government, so we have to sometimes concede on issues," - Shortall.

Maybe the Lab members forum can search for an issue that their parliamentary party hasn't conceded on.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/labour-working-too-much-without-getting-message-across-says-shortall-540014.html

antiestablishmentarian
16-02-2012, 03:39 PM
"The reality is I suppose that we're only a third of the Government, so we have to sometimes concede on issues," - Shortall.

Maybe the Lab members forum can search for an issue that their parliamentary party hasn't conceded on.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/labour-working-too-much-without-getting-message-across-says-shortall-540014.html
Those extra payments to Junior Ministers?

Sam Lord
16-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I wonder if it is Labour Left? It is about time they made a move, perhaps they had agreed to give them a year no matter what.

To be honest, and I would say this.. but their best bet is to join the ULA as a component party. They would probably be the largest grouping and would be leaving a toxic brand/joining a rising brand.

That's just what the ULA needs .. a big influx of Labour party heads. :rolleyes: That this would be welcomed says alot about where its curent members see the ULA heading. More social democracy ... occupying a space the rightward shift of Labour has opened up.

Greengoddess
16-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Just to keep facts on the radar, they are labour members of TASC, among others. Michael Taft is one.

C. Flower
16-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Just to keep facts on the radar, they are labour members of TASC, among others. Michael Taft is one.

Thanks.

PaddyJoe
16-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Speakers at the event include Dr. Mary Murphy (NUI, Maynooth), Michael Taft (UNITE), Mags O’Brien (SIPTU), John Douglas (ICTU), Orla O’Connor (National Women’s Council of Ireland) and Tom Healy (ICTU).

Tuogid
16-02-2012, 11:22 PM
SIPTU and ICTU, as much to blame as FF for the mess we are in.

unspecific
17-02-2012, 01:42 AM
SIPTU and ICTU, as much to blame as FF for the mess we are in.

Literacy standards are falling dramatically. Please be careful to differentiate between the regular civil servant and the corrupt trade union heads who rake in over 100k per year and sit on the boards of eg the central bank.

Dr. FIVE
18-02-2012, 12:18 PM
#labourmembers (https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23labourmembers)

antiestablishmentarian
18-02-2012, 12:34 PM
#labourmembers in favour of @labour being in gov, but not if we're simply administrators
And what else would they be doing? Labour were going in as underdogs when they failed to get the position of Finance Minister or extract more concessions from Fine Gael on things like welfare cuts or tax increases for the better off. It's too late now to be crying over spilt milk.

C. Flower
18-02-2012, 12:38 PM
A lot of views against austerity and a good turn out, according to tweets.

Dr. FIVE
18-02-2012, 12:47 PM
in favour of @labour being in gov, but not if we're simply administrators

Has no one told them we are in a program. I sure it's been said before

Baron von Biffo
18-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Has no one told them we are in a program.

At every cabinet meeting Noonan sings to them - '***k your manifesto, we've a five point plan.'

C. Flower
18-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Literacy standards are falling dramatically. Please be careful to differentiate between the regular civil servant and the corrupt trade union heads who rake in over 100k per year and sit on the boards of eg the central bank.

We are told they don't keep that money.

SIPTU was reported as "coming out against the Household Charge" - somewhat belatedly - this week.

I would be interested to know how SIPTU develops its policy, and whether branch members have a say in it.

loopys
19-02-2012, 01:08 AM

No; today meeting was much much broader than TASC

PaddyJoe
19-02-2012, 01:10 AM
No; today meeting was much much broader than TASC
Welcome loopys:) Do you have more info on today's meeting?

loopys
19-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Welcome loopys:) Do you have more info on today's meeting?

Yes; there were about 120 members there from a broad range of constituencies - 6 TDs came along as well - it easy a very positive ans constructive meeting that would have alternatives to government policy. The speakers were John Douglas from mandate, Orla O'connor from nwci, Tom Healy from ictu, Michael Taft, unite, Mags O Brien, SIPTU and Mary Murphy.

PaddyJoe
19-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Yes; there were about 120 members there from a broad range of constituencies - 6 TDs came along as well - it easy a very positive ans constructive meeting that would have alternatives to government policy. The speakers were John Douglas from mandate, Orla O'connor from nwci, Tom Healy from ictu, Michael Taft, unite, Mags O Brien, SIPTU and Mary Murphy.
Very interesting. Would it be telling tales out of school to know who the TDs were? :D

loopys
19-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Very interesting. Would it be telling tales out of school to know who the TDs were? :D

I don't think so - Patrick Nulty, Aodhan O ORiordain, Ciara Conway, Colm Keaveney, Kevin Humphreys, Joanna Tuffy

Some members were under instruction from hq not to turn up and other people in hq were very upset about certain people agreeing to speak.

PaddyJoe
19-02-2012, 02:04 AM
I don't think so - Patrick Nulty, Aodhan O ORiordain, Ciara Conway, Colm Keaveney, Kevin Humphreys, Joanna Tuffy

Some members were under instruction from hq not to turn up and other people in hq were very upset about certain people agreeing to speak.

Good to see a few people fighting against the tide. Maybe there's a Labour Party still in there somewhere:)

PaddyJoe
19-02-2012, 02:21 AM
@loopys How do you see progress on this going? Is there an informal group that will push policy in the parliamentary party? Is there going to be a fight back inside the party on the cutbacks that are being signed off on by Howlin and Burton?

Greengoddess
19-02-2012, 11:34 AM

I would have gone only out of country.

Greengoddess
19-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Have you any e evidence of such instructions?

C. Flower
19-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Good to see a few people fighting against the tide. Maybe there's a Labour Party still in there somewhere:)

I'm sure there is, even if it is a small one at the moment.

jmcc
19-02-2012, 09:16 PM
But what is the possibility of these people doing the right thing? Will there be a split between people in Labour who consider themselves working for Ireland and those with their snouts in the trough. Whenever Labour goes into government with FG, it rapidly becomes reminiscent of Animal Farm.

Regards...jmcc

Dr. FIVE
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
From The Phoenix

Cork South-Central Constituency Council have put down a motion for the upcoming Labour get together. It proposes,“a special party conference in May, 2013 to

a) review the party’s achievements in government
b) decide whether the party should remain in government”.

The motion was approved by deputy Ciaran Lynch who Goldhawk goes on to claim is nursing wounds having been originally tipped for a junior ministry and again when Penrose jumped ship.

concernedparent
09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
From The Phoenix

Cork South-Central Constituency Council have put down a motion for the upcoming Labour get together. It proposes,“a special party conference in May, 2013 to

a) review the party’s achievements in government
b) decide whether the party should remain in government”.

The motion was approved by deputy Ciaran Lynch who Goldhawk goes on to claim is nursing wounds having been originally tipped for a junior ministry and again when Penrose jumped ship.

Well I don't know about point b, but on point a the conference should be over in about ten minutes flat.

What have they achieved? Well that depends on how you look at it. If you are searching for something productive then forget it. Something negative then they have plenty to discuss.

How they have presided over reductions in SNA's for children with disabilities trying desperately to integrate. Reduced carers allowances for people trying to cope with dependant offspring and parents. Cutting the teachers who are attempting to educate the next generations and give them some form of life that does not include remaining on Welfare.

Yes in many ways they have much and nothing to discuss. But not an awful lot to be proud of.:mad: