PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear It For Vinegar

Andrew49
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Almost every kitchen contains a bottle of vinegar. Inexpensive and safe, it has many more uses than simple salad dressings.

1. It makes glass sparkle. White vinegar added to water makes a wonderful cleaning agent for windows. It will even remove mildew that builds up outside, making it a perfect cleanser for greenhouses and garage windows. Used in conjunction with discarded newspaper, your windows will sparkle as good as new.

2. With its natural antiseptic qualities, it is a safe kitchen cleaner. A small amount mixed with water can disinfect counters, the refrigerator, and stove top. The front of the dishwasher, the oven door and window, the sink and faucets are areas that benefit from a quick wipe down with a vinegar and water mixture.

3. The natural anti-bacterial properties of vinegar can be used on minor cuts and bruises. Wrapping a bruise in brown paper that has been soaked with vinegar was a method of drawing out bruising since medieval times, and is being rediscovered today.

4. Vinegar can be used to soothe some symptoms of the common cold. Added to a mixture of honey and lemon juice, organic vinegar can be used as a natural cough controller.

5. Vinegar is a natural weed killer when poured undiluted in driveway and sidewalk cracks. It can also keep ants out of the house when sprayed across door jambs and window sills.

6. A problem with cats - or rabbits in the garden? Cotton balls can be soaked in vinegar and then placed in small plastic containers with holes punched in the tops. The scent will keep cats away from your flower beds. But care should be taken not to spill vinegar on grass or garden plants as it can be harmful to them.

7. And on the other hand, some plants appreciate the acidic value of vinegar. Azaleas in particular will flourish when two tablespoons of vinegar are added to a quart of water and poured around the base of the plants.

8. Outdoor fixtures like taps and exposed pipes can be cleaned with diluted vinegar.

9. Vinegar offers many health benefits. Added to a glass of water with honey first thing in the morning, organic apple cider vinegar has been shown to lower bad cholesterol and control blood sugar. LINK (http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-and-fitness/diabetes-superfoods/special_nutrients/spoonful_of_vinegar) It can be added to fruit juice or to salad dressings as well.

10. Vinegar makes a safe vegetable and fruit wash. One tablespoon of white vinegar in a quart of water can be sprayed on apples, cucumbers, and other foods. Rinsed with water, they are then clean and tasty.

- - - - - - - - -

It's great on chips too.

C. Flower
05-02-2012, 03:09 PM
It's great on chips, too.

Baron von Biffo
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
The newspaper and vinegar tip works brilliantly on car windscreens. It gets rid of traffic film much better than any commercial cleaner I've tried.

smiles
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Apple cider vinegar mixed with water rinsed through your hair is a fabulous conditioner (don't worry the vinegar smell disappears quickly)

I remember one time many years ago that my eldest daughter got hair lice and so we sat down one evening to the long and arduous task of removing the eggs, about an hour in and struggling, I looked up some old wives tales and found one using vinegar, I rinsed her hair with vinegar and it made the job 100 times easier it seemed to unglued the eggs.

C. Flower
05-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Add a teaspoon when you're making toffee.

If there's no wine about, a teaspoon of wine vinegat, with a little sugar or honey, added to sauces and stews.

C. Flower
05-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Strawberries and balsamic vinegar

http://food.sndimg.com/img/recipes/18/52/45/large/picnHYocp.jpg

fluffybiscuits
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Just a note on sugar (I know completely unrelated!) but we had a lecturer at college in microbiology who told us to pack a wound with sugar to dry it out! Apparently it makes it harder for bacteria to live but I would have thought the opposite was the case!

C. Flower
05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Vinegar is good for making pickles :)

musashi
05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Strawberries and balsamic vinegar

http://food.sndimg.com/img/recipes/18/52/45/large/picnHYocp.jpg

no way, you're kidding right?
Well I suppose it could be an alternative to a sorbet...unorthodox tho.

C. Flower
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
no way, you're kidding right?
Well I suppose it could be an alternative to a sorbet...unorthodox tho.

No kidding. An inexplicably delicious combination.

Baron von Biffo
05-02-2012, 11:51 PM
No kidding. An inexplicably delicious combination.

Will we be hearing the patter of little PW feet?