PDA

View Full Version : Labour Motion Calls For Reversal Of Public Sector Paycuts

ang
16-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I wonder how they will marry this into a FG partnership.

Eamon Gilmore has also said that if Labour is in government after the next election a full review of NAMA will take place.

Looks like the Labour party are starting to wake up.

http://feeds.breakingnews.ie/~r/bntopstories/~3/sgR-826OQfE/labour-motion-calls-for-reversal-of-public-sector-pay-cuts-454205.html

Xray
16-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Good. Labour will go over 20% soon. Consensus politics is out the window. Its time to start disagreeing big time. Forget FG, the maths will figure itself out after the election.

Labour should play dirty now and take a couple of FF TDs into the party.

Murra
16-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Codswallop. 'Full review of NAMA' - review it and then what? It's a done deal now.

And where are they going to get the money to reverse the very necessary pay cuts?
Its just a load of hyperbole.

C. Flower
16-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Codswallop. 'Full review of NAMA' - review it and then what? It's a done deal now.

And where are they going to get the money to reverse the very necessary pay cuts?

I don't trust them but they should be pushed as hard and as far as possible.

MediaBite
17-04-2010, 02:00 PM
'Review' is a bullshit term politically. Means nothing - just throws out a vague promise towards hoped for gullibility in the electorate that some sort of meaningful change will result. Gilmore was on telly on a McWilliams hosted Panel prog and specifically stated that there would be nothing he would or could do about NAMA if elected.

C. Flower
17-04-2010, 02:03 PM
'Review' is a bullshit term politically. Means nothing - just throws out a vague promise towards hoped for gullibility in the electorate that some sort of meaningful change will result. Gilmore was on telly on a McWilliams hosted Panel prog and specifically stated that there would be nothing he would or could do about NAMA if elected.

Yes - I was listening to Michael D. Higgins on RTE lunchtime news and he was talking about "social gain" - getting some new playing fields - if financially viable on a pay to use basis - out of NAMA.

Milksop talk.

Ard-Taoiseach
17-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I wonder how they will marry this into a FG partnership.

Eamon Gilmore has also said that if Labour is in government after the next election a full review of NAMA will take place.

Looks like the Labour party are starting to wake up.

http://feeds.breakingnews.ie/~r/bntopstories/~3/sgR-826OQfE/labour-motion-calls-for-reversal-of-public-sector-pay-cuts-454205.html

Well of course they would given that their paymasters and members are also members of the public-sector trade unions.

So they're going to reverse the pay cuts? Fair enough, but where are they going to find the money to off-set these reversals? Increased taxes? Because that worked really well during the 1980s.

Baron von Biffo
17-04-2010, 07:20 PM

How much was actually saved by the cuts?

C. Flower
17-04-2010, 07:46 PM
How much was actually saved by the cuts?

Aren't we spending more now than we were two years ago ?

Baron von Biffo
18-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Aren't we spending more now than we were two years ago ?

What I'm trying to get at is the real effect of the €1Bn cut in PS wages. Obviously it was never going to yield anything like €1Bn in savings, but has it actually cost us money?

C. Flower
18-04-2010, 08:51 PM
What I'm trying to get at is the real effect of the €1Bn cut in PS wages. Obviously it was never going to yield anything like €1Bn in savings, but has it actually cost us money?

Has anyone done the calculations ?

Has anyone calculated how much the job cuts/embargo have saved, and cost ?

Baron von Biffo
18-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Has anyone done the calculations ?

Has anyone calculated how much the job cuts/embargo have saved, and cost ?

There seems to be some considerable reticence on that matter.

C. Flower
18-04-2010, 09:16 PM
There seems to be some considerable reticence on that matter.

Would you hard working full time Union officials not do it ?

They would need to allow for lost tax, increased social welfare, increased medical cards, increased costs of ill health etc. etc.

Xray
18-04-2010, 11:07 PM
aside from the fact that the cuts and jobs in the PS only yield about 30-40% net not counting the loss of stimulus it is also worth remembering that tax take has collapsed in the last couple of years. Nothing other than restoring that will improve anything. People are blinded into imagining we have an out goings problem. What we really have is an income problem.

We have an income of 30 billion, even if we pay no state wages we don.t have enough tax coming in. If you make every ps worker redundant you will have about 25 billion in tax coming in and a social welfare bill of about the same amount.

Basically the cut in taxes is unsustainable.

Baron von Biffo
18-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Would you hard working full time Union officials not do it ?

They would need to allow for lost tax, increased social welfare, increased medical cards, increased costs of ill health etc. etc.

Where did you get the idea that I'm (a) Hard working or (b) a union official?

C. Flower
18-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Where did you get the idea that I'm (a) Hard working or (b) a union official?

Whoops. Left out the you r

antiestablishmentarian
29-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Mr Gilmore launched a stinging attack on Fianna Fáil, saying they had committed "a gross betrayal of the Irish people with their greed and special interests".

He has also promised a comprehensive inquiry into the banking crisis, including the Government's guarantee in September 2008.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/labour-motion-calls-for-reversal-of-public-sector-pay-cuts-454205.html#ixzz1f3h4kDRnSo the government has been in place for 9 months now, I wonder when Mr Gilmore's promised inquiry will be held into the banking crisis, and if that inquiry will involved the DPP.

Dr. FIVE
29-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Old* threads soon to become a rich mine of black humour

* as in a few months sigh

antiestablishmentarian
29-11-2011, 03:07 AM
These old threads and broken promises should be brought out of mothballs and used against the current government. God knows, they promised enough in the election campaign, now they have their arses on the government benches and are abandoning election pledges faster than you can say 'unvouched expenses', they, and the electorate, should be reminded of their lies.