PDA

View Full Version : Roll of Honour : Who Turned Down the Queen's Honours List" ?

C. Flower
26-01-2012, 09:37 PM
A few names have been released of people who turned down "gongs" from Queen Elizabeth 2.

My guess is that Enda is slavering for a CBE.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0126/breaking38.html#.TyHGrl_6Vk0.facebook

Should Ireland have an "Honours List" or should we keep up the pretence of being a Republic and above than kind of thing ?

Baron von Biffo
26-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Should Ireland have an "Honours List"

If we had an honours list during the boom most of those currently under investigation, those whose debts we're now paying and the bankruptcy tourists would have been recipients.

Thanks very much but no thanks.

Ah Well
26-01-2012, 11:31 PM
If we had an honours list during the boom most of those currently under investigation, those whose debts we're now paying and the bankruptcy tourists would have been recipients.

Thanks very much but no thanks.

+1

Shaadi
27-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Should Ireland have an "Honours List" or should we keep up the pretence of being a Republic and above than kind of thing ?No we shouldn't have an Honours List. It's depressing enough living in a country where back slapping and mutual admiration is the norm in our media, we don't need official conformation of their narcissism.

Now a Disgrace List nominated by the public, that's a different kettle of fish. All those insiders that the State is unwilling to pursue could be named. Perhaps the Bert and his Govt, the regulator, and an array of Bishops and Bankers might have behaved slightly differently if they knew they would be held up to National humiliation.

C. Flower
27-01-2012, 09:13 AM
No we shouldn't have an Honours List. It's depressing enough living in a country where back slapping and mutual admiration is the norm in our media, we don't need official conformation of their narcissism.

Now a Disgrace List nominated by the public, that's a different kettle of fish. All those insiders that the State is unwilling to pursue could be named. Perhaps the Bert and his Govt, the regulator, and an array of Bishops and Bankers might have behaved slightly differently if they knew they would be held up to National humiliation.

A Dishonour List ?

Yes, I can see the sense in that.

There are various "person of the year" awards and they are fairly embarrassing.

My people of the year are people who are unemployed or have lost their income and are doing their best to hang in there.

Shaadi
27-01-2012, 09:54 AM
.My people of the year are people who are unemployed or have lost their income and are doing their best to hang in there.People whether employed or otherwise who do the right thing are the ones with honour. If it's only getting up in the morning and facing up to your responsibilities without being selfish or spiteful it's good enough. We can't all be heroes but most of us can decide to be decent, a spine would also help but some people are naturally more timid.than others.