PDA

View Full Version : Move Over al-Jazeera, BBC, CNN, RT, etc….China’s Coming

Count Bobulescu
17-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Was going to put this in the watching the media thread, but there hasn’t been much comment on China recently so I thought I’d park it here. By all accounts it looks like a fairly amateurish effort to begin with, but will be interesting to see how it develops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/china-building-news-hub-in-dc/2012/01/12/gIQAh2Ps3P_story.html

In a downtown D.C. office building hard by a Starbucks and a busy construction site, China’s most ambitious effort to become a global power in English-language TV news is literally taking shape.
For months, Chinese and American workers have been constructing a multi-floor TV studio complex on New York Avenue NW. Within a few weeks, China Central Television (CCTV) — the nation’s state-run international broadcaster — intends to originate news broadcasts produced by a staff of more than 60 journalists hired in recent weeks from NBC, Bloomberg TV, Fox News and other Western news organizations.

Binn Beal
17-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I watch CCTV regularly, as well as Russia Today, France 24, BBC, Al-Jazeera, CNN and recently I have discovered PressTV which is the Iranian English channel. They (Press TV) have a phone-in show hosted by George Galloway which is unlike any other. I'm not well-informed but my bias is balanced.

fluffybiscuits
17-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Russia 24 is good but has a pro Putin slant I find, was not impressed with their coverage of the Moscow protests. They didnt say much from what I watched as to if the protestors had a point.

Binn Beal
18-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah, you have to know where the stations are coming from. Don't expect criticism of Qatar from Al-Jazeera and Press TV (Iran) is laughable on Syria. Then again, so is Fox News on Israel.

riposte
18-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Russia 24 is good but has a pro Putin slant I find, was not impressed with their coverage of the Moscow protests. They didnt say much from what I watched as to if the protestors had a point.

Did you never hear the term "mindless violence" fluffy? It was all the rage back in the '8Os.

Holly
18-01-2012, 07:54 PM
A sample of CCTV:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cctvnewschannel?blend=4&ob=video-mustangbase

fluffybiscuits
18-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Did you never hear the term "mindless violence" fluffy? It was all the rage back in the '8Os.

Oft used by the Soviets in crushing uprising I understand...

riposte
19-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Oft used by the Soviets in crushing uprising I understand...

Well I heard nearly every night on RTE, UTV and BBC.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
19-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Bit of a fan of propaganda TV and radio being a veteran of Radio Moscow and Radio Europe (I think thats what it was)... always remember being fascinated by the way news was spun and intrepreted.

Used to get in trouble for being awake at night with earphones on waiting for the staggeringly monotone Mr and Mrs Pravda to come on with the news from Soviet Russia and then switch to hear the way the yanks were spinning the same stories. After a while it became a game to predict which breaking world new stories would be totally ignored by one or the other ... also became quite expert on the year on year 'growth' figures for the wheat harvest the other side of the Iron Curtain.

RTE of course was little better and well deserves its nickname of Pravda even in recent years- I'm sure we all still remember the odd camera angles lopping off the 'Fianna Fail' logo behind Micheal Martin during the run up to last year's election and the sudden Moscow like chopping away of coverage from Vinnie's awkward questions to Lenihan and Cowen at press conferences ... interesting to note that the RTE News Editorial team does not seem to have changed one jot from then.

Fine Gael and Labour will come to regret not taking the sword to the Fianna Fail moles in RTE.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
19-01-2012, 08:01 AM
I can honestly say that I think Fox News is worse than Radio Moscow from the old Soviet Union- Moscow was endearingly naive and one got the sense of 'oh ******, not this tripe again' from the presenters and their hugely monotone delivery. You could almost hear the inward groans at the news the wheat harvest was once again spectacular in the Ukraine...

Fox wanchors are actually enthusiastic believers in what they do. Which, whatever it is, is not journalism.

fluffybiscuits
20-01-2012, 12:26 AM
I can honestly say that I think Fox News is worse than Radio Moscow from the old Soviet Union- Moscow was endearingly naive and one got the sense of 'oh ******, not this tripe again' from the presenters and their hugely monotone delivery. You could almost hear the inward groans at the news the wheat harvest was once again spectacular in the Ukraine...

Fox wanchors are actually enthusiastic believers in what they do. Which, whatever it is, is not journalism.

Oh they swore they would catch Bin Laden. The mouth piece of the American right and Murdochs capitalist machine were always there behind their boys when they went to bomb sheep herders terrorists. "In IIIIIIIIIIraq , America troops have found Osama Bin Hussein Sadam Laden"....Of course Fox was great on reporting the collateral damage ....:rolleyes:

Count Bobulescu
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Al-Jazeera Arabic, and Al-Jazeera English have been available in the US for years, but mostly on the east coast. Now they are "bringin it on" for the "heartland" with the launch of Al-Jazeera America. I hope they do a better job than BBC America, the worst TV channel created since the Big Bang. Al Gore recently pocketed $500 million from the sale of his Current TV to Al-J. So they are sinkin some Benjamins: a one-hundred-dollar bill (in reference to the portrait of Benjamin Franklin that distinguishes it) into the US. Current employed Keith Olbermann before they fired him. He just can't hold down a job.

Al Jazeera America Got Its First Anchor and Twitter Account (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2013/04/al-jazeera-america-got-its-first-anchor-and-twitter-account/63905/) It's a pretty big day at Al Jazeera America — the company confirmed its first bold faced name hire, and set up a brand spanking social media account for the kids to follow along with at home.