PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Soccer McGrath Condemns Racist Support T Shirts

C. Flower
23-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Racism in soccer, on pitch and in the stands, used to be a nasty thing, but was pushed back mainly on the initiative of players.

This is a bad show, and McGrath is right to speak out.

I didn't hear the "complained of" words. Did anyone here, and do they have a view?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1223/1224309421994.html?via=mr

Liverpool’s pre-match clothing at the DW Stadium has attracted criticism from several black footballers, and McGrath claimed it represented a devastating setback to the accomplishments of anti-racism campaigns. He said: “Maybe Kenny (Dalglish) is trying to make a statement to the FA but I just think it is in bad taste that he sent them out in those T-shirts. It would have been much better for Liverpool Football Club if they had have worn anti-racism shirts.

“It’s about respect. There’s this issue going on about respecting your opponents. It is actually a game. The game itself has gone too big, it’s about winning and the money. The actual element of football being a game has long since gone, it is all about protecting your interest, protecting your best players.

“There are a lot of children that watch these games and to have done what they did last night, doing their warm-up in T-shirts with his smiling face on it, having just been done for a supposedly racist comment to one of his opponents, is shameful for football. It puts the anti-racism campaign back to the beginning as far as I’m concerned.

“If I was in Glen Johnson’s situation, I’d have thrown the shirt to the floor. If that had been someone in my time and I’d heard the comments or I’d even suspected he was guilty – and obviously there has been a tribunal – then I would not wear a T-shirt with his name on it, saying all is well and good here.”

The Blackburn Rovers striker Jason Roberts also thinks the Suarez case transcends sport. He tweeted: “The stance on the Suarez issue from LFC has bemused me – are United going to print Evra shirts now????? Some issues are bigger than football.”

fluffybiscuits
23-12-2011, 03:34 PM
There was an issue in one LoI club a few years ago. Internally there was a lot of debate about the reactions of some of the chants that some of the fans were directing at a black player who played at the time for Bohemians at the time. Some of the chants aimed at the player were disgusting at the time but some of the fans begged to differ and said it was a bit of craic. There is also the issue with some managers having a put up or shut up attitude with it, telling the players its part and parcel of the game but thankfully here its not rampant as it is in say Russia where Samuel Etoo and Roberto Carlos got monkey chants and bananas thrown at them on a regular basis. More needs to be done to address the issue of racism in football. Heavy fines, ban clubs, kick them out, ban racist fans etc etc.

Griska
23-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Apparently, and I read this in the Guardian a few days ago, Suarez called Evra "negrita".

There is an argument, apparently, that in South America, this is not as horrid a word as it sounds, but I don't know whether this is true or not.

PaddyJoe
23-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Apparently, and I read this in the Guardian a few days ago, Suarez called Evra "negrita".

There is an argument, apparently, that in South America, this is not as horrid a word as it sounds, but I don't know whether this is true or not.
Tricky one:

"It's about questions of translation or context," said Mark Sawyer, director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Politics at the University of California Los Angeles.
The word's literal translation is "little black man." But generally, negrito is not considered a racial slur in Latin America, Sawyer said. In fact, it frequently has a positive meaning.
"It's often a term of endearment," he said.
But what the word means also depends on where -- and how -- it's said.
"In Puerto Rico, it has one meaning. In Cuba it has a slightly different connotation and in the Dominican Republic it has a slightly different connotation," said Jorge Chinea, director of the Center for Chicano-Boricua Studies at Wayne State University in Detroit.
Chinea said his mother and stepfather, both of whom were light-skinned, frequently used the word.
"When they talked as a couple, my mother would say, 'negrito, I love you.' ... I grew up listening to those expressions commonly being used by a lot of people in my community in Puerto Rico. And it was never associated with any color," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/17/sport/soccer-word-controversy/index.html

fluffybiscuits
24-12-2011, 04:27 PM
The issue here is how it is percieved. Its one thing using it as a term of endearment to a best mate or someone you are well acquianted with but if you were to use it to a stranger who is unfamiliar with the culture, it would be understandable if they took offence. According to Sky Sports News earlier Chelsea wanted to wear t shirts expressing solidarity with Suarez but they said no. Funnily enough the request came from Terry who is facing charges of apparently racially abusing Anton Ferdinand of QPR. Will be interesting to see what will bethe result of the hearing against Terry. I would say he would hope its all water under the Bridge ...