PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuns should be on the Pill' Lancet study debunked by Catholic medics

Andrew49
12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
An article claiming that nuns should use contraception to lower their risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancers drew criticism from medical professionals who say the study’s basis is seriously flawed. Karen Brauer, president of Pharmacists for Life International, said the argument was so poorly made that she initially thought the article was a parody. “It’s that bad,” she told CNA on Dec. 8, adding that the claims were not only outlandish but unsupported by the evidence presented in the analysis.

Australian researchers Kara Britt and Roger Short penned a Dec. 8 article in the international medical journal The Lancet warning that nuns “pay a terrible price for their chastity.” They argued that because they never bear children, nuns have a higher probability of death from breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers. Britt and Short lamented the “plight” of religious sisters and called on the Church to “make the oral contraceptive pill freely available to all its nuns” in order to decrease risk of these cancers.

Medical experts blast claim that nuns need contraception (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/medical-experts-blast-claim-that-nuns-need-contraception/)

- - - - - - - - -
BACKGROUND
Nuns should be on the Pill says Lancet study (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/8940947/Nuns-should-go-on-the-Pill-says-Lancet-study.html)

fluffybiscuits
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
An article claiming that nuns should use contraception to lower their risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancers drew criticism from medical professionals who say the study’s basis is seriously flawed. Karen Brauer, president of Pharmacists for Life International, said the argument was so poorly made that she initially thought the article was a parody. “It’s that bad,” she told CNA on Dec. 8, adding that the claims were not only outlandish but unsupported by the evidence presented in the analysis.

Australian researchers Kara Britt and Roger Short penned a Dec. 8 article in the international medical journal The Lancet warning that nuns “pay a terrible price for their chastity.” They argued that because they never bear children, nuns have a higher probability of death from breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers. Britt and Short lamented the “plight” of religious sisters and called on the Church to “make the oral contraceptive pill freely available to all its nuns” in order to decrease risk of these cancers.

Medical experts blast claim that nuns need contraception (http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/medical-experts-blast-claim-that-nuns-need-contraception/)

- - - - - - - - -
BACKGROUND
Nuns should be on the Pill says Lancet study (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/8940947/Nuns-should-go-on-the-Pill-says-Lancet-study.html)

Seems strange to me. I read that one of the biggest risks of Ovarian cancer was that it was the HPV virus that was leading cause of it. As a result they offered the vaccine to the kids. Might be better to innoculate the nuns or perhaps just let them go at it like any other normal human being. Either way a pent up sexual frustration is as likely to kill them as cancer and as we know stress is a leading cause of cancer!

Captain Con O'Sullivan
13-12-2011, 09:42 AM
bizarre story ... I'd say fluffy has a point about the stress side of things. Sex is the best de-stresser going and there's definitely a lot to the effect of stress on incidence of cancers.

I have no idea about the efficacy of the pill as a protective effect against cancers and it sounds a bit leftfield to me but have no idea about the medical effects of it so can't comment.

C. Flower
13-12-2011, 11:07 AM

- - - - - - - - -
BACKGROUND

It's shocking that a medical journal should publish such nonsense. They produced no evidence to support any health benefits for the pill. If women want to reduce their risk of breast cancer, they can reduce their body weight and drink less.

Britt and Short lamented the “plight” of religious sisters and called on the Church to “make the oral contraceptive pill freely available to all its nuns” in order to decrease risk of these cancers.

But Brauer pointed out that this claim is misleading, even according to the study on which the authors based their arguments.

Referencing a graph included in the article, she noted that before age 70, the nuns actually had a lower rate of death from uterine cancer than the control group. Their comparative rates of death from ovarian cancer fluctuated before age 80, being at times above, below and equal to that of the control group.

According to the study, breast cancer was the only one for which the nuns were consistently at higher risk than the control group of women, said Brauer. However, Britt and Short did not claim that the pill would reduce the risk of breast cancer, as they did for ovarian and uterine cancer, but simply that it would “not increase” the risk of breast cancer.

In addition, said Brauer, women who use oral contraceptives face “considerable” negative side effects. These include a significantly increased risk of deep venous thrombosis, which causes potentially life-threatening blood clots—a fact that Britt and Short acknowledged.

For these reasons, using the pill only to prevent disease “doesn’t make any sense,” she said.

fluffybiscuits
13-12-2011, 02:36 PM
bizarre story ... I'd say fluffy has a point about the stress side of things. Sex is the best de-stresser going and there's definitely a lot to the effect of stress on incidence of cancers.

I have no idea about the efficacy of the pill as a protective effect against cancers and it sounds a bit leftfield to me but have no idea about the medical effects of it so can't comment.

Sex is well known as a stress buster. The build up to the release often takes with it other stresses that have built up I find :)

C. Flower
13-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Sex is well known as a stress buster. The build up to the release often takes with it other stresses that have built up I find :)

The Lancet was not recommending that nuns have sex, fb.

Baron von Biffo
15-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Might avoid a repeat of this :-

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00994/church-caption-comp_994939t.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/church-billboard-showing-shocked-virgin-mary-with-pregnancy-test-sparks-outrage-2965010.html

culmore
15-12-2011, 11:27 AM
seem funny to me putting Nuns on Drugs to prevent cancer because they have No Sex and putting young girls on Drugs to prevent Cancer because they are having too much Sex. Which one is good for you, too much or none ?

Andrew49
15-12-2011, 01:55 PM

me too :):p

fluffybiscuits
15-12-2011, 02:44 PM
The Lancet was not recommending that nuns have sex, fb.

Ah lol I know that but just mentioning in general ! :)