PDA

View Full Version : Occupy take over UBS building in London

Captain Con O'Sullivan
18-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Occupy have, er, occupied a UBS owned building in Liverpool Street.

'It's actually several buildings clustered round each other, all in various states of disuse and disrepair. Our guide, Pete Phoenix, an environmental consultant and squatting activist, estimated that there could be as many as 500 rooms in all. The entire complex is owned by banking giant UBS, whose own, more modern London HQ is across the road.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/nov/18/occupy-london-takes-over-empty-ubs-bank-live

Latest I understand is that UBS are attempting to get a court order for eviction which they are likely to be granted fairly quickly but there is potential for a flashpoint here as the police would have to clear the building which is cavernous- interesting new development as there are a number of buildings around the city which could be targetted for Occupations.

C. Flower
18-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Occupying buildings is a logical step, given the season of the year and the weather that's in it.

Although it lacks the visibility and accessibility of an encampment.

Baron von Biffo
18-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Occupying buildings is a logical step, given the season of the year and the weather that's in it.

Although it lacks the visibility and accessibility of an encampment.

On the plus side, if they don't have to worry about keeping warm and dry they might manage to cobble together a few objectives.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
18-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Still don't get it do they? The media, politicians, civil servants all demanding a neat little list of objectives which can be criticised and categorised as per their way of life.

The ULA spent months trying to distil the objectives of every hairy arsed group they could find and ended up with a gender argument as usual from the Lorettas. Then they went on holiday for three months. And now they are stuck.

Occupy should make policy statements on issues based on the rolling voting system and bugger playing the game as set out by the failed and the corrupt.

C. Flower
18-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Still don't get it do they? The media, politicians, civil servants all demanding a neat little list of objectives which can be criticised and categorised as per their way of life.

The ULA spent months trying to distil the objectives of every hairy arsed group they could find and ended up with a gender argument as usual from the Lorettas. Then they went on holiday for three months. And now they are stuck.

Occupy should make policy statements on issues based on the rolling voting system and bugger playing the game as set out by the failed and the corrupt.

I'm not sure I understand the "Lorettas" stuff, but the holidays, and the being stuck, is fair enough, imo.

I agree with you about the Occupations - they are a space for debate and expression of individual views. There is nothing to stop groups taking part if they respect the rules of the game.