PDA

View Full Version : Nessa Childers MEP Says Labour Party is Threatening her Expulsion over Opposition to Cardiff Appointment

C. Flower
15-11-2011, 12:09 PM
While today some Labour Councillors and TDs are kicking up over barracks closures, Nessa Childers says she is being threatened with expulsion from the party over her opposition to Kevin Cardiff's expulsion.

http://newsfeed.eastcoast.fm/2011/11/ireland-east-mep-childers-threatened.html

Where is the Labour Party going ?

Captain Con O'Sullivan
15-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Kevin Cardiff is a member of the Labour Party ..? Have I misunderstood this? EDIT- Sorry, I understand now when re-reading the subject line.

Does this mean the Labour Party as well as Fine Gael seem to be physically shyting themselves in case Kevin isn't appointed to the Court of Auditors- and why are they so panicked about this at a party level? Why does there appear to be a party whip in Fine Gael and Labour on someone who has been seen as more connected to Fianna Fail than Mary Davis?

DCon
15-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Why does there appear to be a party whip in Fine Gael and Labour on someone who has been seen as more connected to Fianna Fail than Mary Davis?

I am interested to know this too..what does Kevin know?

Captain Con O'Sullivan
15-11-2011, 12:28 PM
That there's no difference between FF, FG and Labour in reality and their apparent policy position differences are just so much swill for the plebs?

Presumably Cardiff will be au fait with the thinking behind paying those bondholders 700million euro a week or so ago ...?

Newsy
15-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Why does there appear to be a party whip in Fine Gael and Labour on someone who has been seen as more connected to Fianna Fail than Mary Davis?

It certainly seems very odd that such weight would be applied over an appointment.....or is more than just an appointment???

What is the 'sensitivity' within the Labour ranks about with regard to cardiff?

antiestablishmentarian
15-11-2011, 01:08 PM
It certainly seems very odd that such weight would be applied over an appointment.....or is more than just an appointment???

Perhaps they know something we don't. They are in government now after all, so presumably more of them know where the bodies are buried now if they didn't before.

Baron von Biffo
15-11-2011, 01:10 PM

There's nothing odd about a party slapping down one of its number who is speaking against a government policy.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
15-11-2011, 01:13 PM
That government policy being to appoint someone who is demonstrably not suitable for the proposed role?

Baron- why is it so impossible for you to accept that any civil servant can do any wrong anywhere?

You are the exact same when it comes to the Unicorn of 'independence' with the Irish civil service- the whole bloody system lies in ruins as a tribute to that nonsensical claim and yet you would quite happily sing us the Tir Na N'og song.

Why would it be government policy to reward failure?

disability student
15-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Yes very odd indeed re pressure applied unless he knows something that FG don't like.

It's a tantamount to blackmail. Simple as that.

It's increasingly seen that FG wears the same colours as FF when it comes to crunch re bailout or budget decisions or hiding behind the FF bailout programme & attach blame to FF.

Well that's no excuse for that. IMF/ECB have said that there is room for flexibility re austerity programme.

FG/Lab govt have started attacking the lowest & middle class of the society re CUTS leaving the higher class/elites intact and less burden re tax as well.

Holly
15-11-2011, 03:37 PM
There's nothing odd about a party slapping down one of its number who is speaking against a government policy.

Firstly, the Cabinet's promotion of Kevin Cardiff for a position on the European Ciurt of Auditors cannot be correctly referred to as "policy". This is an executive decision, not policy.
Secondly, as a Member of the European Parliament, Nessa Childers is not subject to a Dáil Éireann whip.
Thirdly, a "slapping down" in the form of a menacing telephone threat that Ms Childers can expect to be booted out of the Labour Party and possibly be taken to court to pay for all income that Kevin Cardiff might lose by not getting appointed to the cushy number in Brussels, is more than "odd"; it is bizarre. We can only assume the "senior member of the Labour Party" who issued these threats was Brendan Howlin as he is on record as stating that Kevin Cardiff's candidacy was fully supported by the Labour Party although the Labour Party never even discussed Mr. Cardiff. In other words, this Labour Party runt has come to see his opinions as the Labour Party position on anything he chooses.
Watch for a Labour Party backbench backlash against Howlin any day now.

Baron von Biffo
15-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Firstly, the Cabinet's promotion of Kevin Cardiff for a position on the European Ciurt of Auditors cannot be correctly referred to as "policy". This is an executive decision, not policy.
Secondly, as a Member of the European Parliament, Nessa Childers is not subject to a Dáil Éireann whip.
Thirdly, a "slapping down" in the form of a menacing telephone threat that Ms Childers can expect to be booted out of the Labour Party and possibly be taken to court to pay for all income that Kevin Cardiff might lose by not getting appointed to the cushy number in Brussels, is more than "odd"; it is bizarre. We can only assume the "senior member of the Labour Party" who issued these threats was Brendan Howlin as he is on record as stating that Kevin Cardiff's candidacy was fully supported by the Labour Party although the Labour Party never even discussed Mr. Cardiff. In other words, this Labour Party runt has come to see his opinions as the Labour Party position on anything he chooses.
Watch for a Labour Party backbench backlash against Howlin any day now.

The parties think that elected parliamentarians are their agents rather than representatives of the people who elected them.

As private organisations they can set their own criteria for joining/continued membership. Things only get sinister when a party interferes with Oireachtas business to settle internal scores as FG did with Naughten (http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?t=8864).

Baron von Biffo
15-11-2011, 06:06 PM
We should probably keep in mind that Childers is the Lab answer to Paul Gogarty.

C. Flower
15-11-2011, 09:13 PM
It doesn't matter. This incident should be a reminder that Labour's main interest is the trough, the whole trough, and nothing but the trough.

Let the likes of Nessa mess with the delicate business of who gets their nose into it at their peril.

Baron von Biffo
15-11-2011, 09:30 PM
It doesn't matter. This incident should be a reminder that Labour's main interest is the trough, the whole trough, and nothing but the trough.

Let the likes of Nessa mess with the delicate business of who gets their nose into it at their peril.

Cardiff isn't a Lab member so how is this a Lab nose in the trough story?

Dr. FIVE
15-11-2011, 09:30 PM
She says she was threatened with explosion from LP on the news there.
Gilmore denies.

Who do we believe and what is the panic here? This whole stinks beyond the usual packing someone of to europe.......

morticia
15-11-2011, 09:36 PM
She says she was threatened with explosion from LP on the news there.
Gilmore denies.

Who do we believe and what is the panic here? This whole stinks beyond the usual packing someone of to europe.......

Yes, this is very bizarre. Cardiff, as a serving senior civil servant, is supposed to foreswear all party political involvement, so we can assume, I suppose, that he is/has not been the official tool of any particular faction in the Dail. There were certainly rumours that FF used to dance to the tune of senior civil servants, given that "knew things" that could be damaging, hence the reluctance to cut their pay commensurately with the lower ranks etc.

But Lab/FG were nowhere near decision making for 13 years, so what hold could Cardiff possibly have over those lads?? There certainly appears to be some reason they're showering him with goodies and trying to post him off to Brussels asap.

I don't get it..... why?

DCon
15-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, this is very bizarre. Cardiff, as a serving senior civil servant, is supposed to foreswear all party political involvement, so we can assume, I suppose, that he is/has not been the official tool of any particular faction in the Dail. There were certainly rumours that FF used to dance to the tune of senior civil servants, given that "knew things" that could be damaging, hence the reluctance to cut their pay commensurately with the lower ranks etc.

But Lab/FG were nowhere near decision making for 13 years, so what hold could Cardiff possibly have over those lads?? There certainly appears to be some reason they're showering him with goodies and trying to post him off to Brussels asap.

I don't get it..... why?

They just want him out the way.

I am more concerned at who they have in mind to replace him. Will it be a plant?

Dr. FIVE
15-11-2011, 09:55 PM
comment on NWL

A friend who is employed as an advisor to one of the Labour Ministers described a meeting last week of the party’s advisors, when Mark Garrett, one of Gilmore’s people, told the assembled group that they had to rally around the Cardiff appointment. Only one person spoke out, comparing the stitch up to the Hugh O’Flaherty debacle. No one dared to say anything, however at least one other person agreed with the comment by leaking it to the papers.

C'mon Kathleen. You're supposed to be batting for us in there.

morticia
15-11-2011, 10:05 PM
They just want him out the way.

I am more concerned at who they have in mind to replace him. Will it be a plant?

Yes. but WHY do they want him out of the way? As you say, some of the answer may become apparent with the announcement of a replacement. Does it have to do with the nature of the replacement, or with Cardiff himself?

And why could he theoretically sue for loss of earnings when he's getting a whopper lump sum/pension?

PaddyJoe
16-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think there's any mystery about why this government would want to handle Kevin Cardiff very carefully. He's one of a very small group of people who was intimately involved with the Bank Guarantee and its aftermath. Don't forget that it was Anglo that really brought the house of cards down. It wasn't just FF developer types who had a stake in Anglo.
People like Denis O'Brien and Lochlan Quinn also had investments with money from Anglo. It wasn't by chance that Dick Spring and Alan Dukes were appointed as 'public interest' directors to guaranteed banks.
Huge swathes of the Irish elite were exposed to Anglo and that trascended narrow party loyalties.
Kevin Cardiff is someone whose memoirs could deeply embarrass plenty of people who have connections to FG and Labour.

Dr. FIVE
16-11-2011, 01:02 AM
in a nutshell

Captain Con O'Sullivan
16-11-2011, 06:54 AM
This is the clearest signal I have yet seen that the banking corruption goes beyond Fianna Fail and into the other mainstream parties.

There's a smell of institutional Fianna Failism off this attempted appointment.

Dr. FIVE
16-11-2011, 06:58 AM
we have no reason to believe any of them behaved any different.
plenty of property portfolios kicking round the dail still and far beyond the elected reps too.

A former Irish Nationwide Building Society employee has alleged that former chief executive Michael Fingleton ran the society like a personal bank - with different lending criteria for members of the government, the media and his close friends.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0915/inbs_fingletonm.html

consensus was consensus and it ran right across the top of irish society

eanach1
16-11-2011, 08:23 AM
That there's no difference between FF, FG and Labour in reality and their apparent policy position differences are just so much swill for the plebs?

Presumably Cardiff will be au fait with the thinking behind paying those bondholders 700million euro a week or so ago ...?

Oh dear. Just when you think you can't possibly feel any worse about Ireland. This is something I hadn't even considered.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
16-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Reads to me as if the entire political sector in Dublin wants Cardiff out of Dublin and kept quiet. Couldn't believe that European Bank for Reconstruction and Development Board with both Michael Noonan and Kevin Cardiff board members on it.

Add to that the appointment of Vivienne Jupp to the Board of CIE (which is supposed to be wound up by the way) by Varadkar when she was one of the people who sat on Charlie McCreevy's Performance Review Board along with a former Anglo Irish Bank Chairman, a former Board Member of the Independent and assorted other insider arseholes. This Performance Review Board was the payola pipeline between Fianna Fail and the senior levels of the civil service.

It doesn't look good. I believe there is supposed to be a report out naming 50 or so quangos which are to be closed down (report out tomorrow I heard?) which will be interesting and possibly provide a third clue that Fine Gael and Labour are just the same old ***** in a new bucket.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
16-11-2011, 09:34 AM
And then there's this of course ...

'
Both Fine Gael and Labour Party have appointed supporters to State boards despite pre-election promises to end political patronage. The Irish Times reports that the appointments include ‘at least 20 past or present party members, strategists or donors’.

and

'The paper also reports that five out of six judges nominated by the government have links to Fine Gael or Labour. So too do two of the three members of the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board appointed by Minister for Justice Alan Shatter. An examination by the Irish Times of appointments made since March also reveals that half of all departments have yet to recruit board members through public advertisement – another promise made by the incoming government.

Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar has made three new appointments to the Road Safety Authority, including Ronan Melvin, who lives in the Minister’s constituency and was nominated a Fine Gael candidate in the 2009 local elections, and Young Fine Gael activist Seán Finan.'

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Report-accuses-new-Irish-government-of-old-fashioned-Fianna-Fail-cronyism-133872218.html#ixzz1drKwT4RK

DCon
16-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Oh dear. Just when you think you can't possibly feel any worse about Ireland. This is something I hadn't even considered.

A General Election allows the people change the puppets.

Unfortunately, the puppet master's do not run for election and are out of reach.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
16-11-2011, 10:04 AM
comment on NWL

C'mon Kathleen. You're supposed to be batting for us in there.

Barrington is one of the people who's salary was undeclared in the list of appointed advisors to Joan Burton.

Thats right- appointed to a salary paid out of public funds and the amount is not declared- to the public.

Forget Barrington. She sold out- a pity as she was a cracking journalist but she has now effectively been bought out and is effectively silenced. Amazing what a salary can do and of course there has been silence in public since.

Her boss, the Minister for Social Protection is spending much of her time attacking any semblance of social protection. I wonder how Barrington feels now in the evenings when she spent so long and worked so hard in exposing the edges of the real corruption in that area between finance and politics in Ireland. Now she's part of it.

Unless, of course, she thinks she's going to promote reform from the inside as a paid Minister's advisor.

Basically Barrington jumped the fence for money and that should be remembered. In fact I recently warned off a whistleblower here from contacting Kathleen Barrington as she was now paid by the same people who have an interest in shutting whistleblowers up.

I was asked a year or two back whether I'd talk to Barrington as part of an interview process and I'm damn glad I refused as she'd have my identify now. Just goes to show- don't be careless about giving out your offline identity to people.

The Moth
16-11-2011, 08:24 PM
People thought they had voted for change but many of the people who are in government now were the ones urging the gov on to spend money, increase public service, wages pensions etc , rezone and build crap everywhere. Fine Gael and Labour were also up to their neck in it looking after themselves and their friends. Well they may get a couple of years now to line their pockets at the expense of the taxpayer but that is even looking doubtful. I would not bet on any of them getting their big pensions as the Irish state is on the verge of collapse. Their efforts to cut so far include closing down 3 embassies, 3 army barracks, maybe 50 quangos and none of the people will lose their jobs. They will actually cost more as they have to be paid relocation costs etc. Who do they think they are fooling. The army barracks closures were planned in the days when they thought they could sell them off to their pals for appartments. Now they will just cost more to close then to keep open. Also the soldiers will be badly needed when the inevitable civil unrest starts i.e when Europe cut off the money. The senior civil servants kept stum and were paid a kings ransom in return, the poor were kept quite by the inflated dole which allowed them a fine lifestyle with free rent, free school uniforms, free medical cards. and no work. Having presided over the destruction of the Irish State Kevin Cardiff should have the pride to resign but there is no humility or accountability there or anywhere at the upper echelons of Irish life. Chin up Kevin there are bigger prizes ahead for you.

Dr. FIVE
16-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't know if I share your anger Cap'n, disappointment more then anything. Watch 15 seconds in here.

IFSC Strategy Launch - Taoiseach's statement - YouTube

There she is leaving Government buildings as Enda waffles about the IFSC. Icing on the bloody cake...
Phoenix reckons hiring Barrington was down to Joan still having an eye on a finance ministry. Her appointment fits with the DOF considering Joan "unsuitable" for one but she could be party leader by the end of term.

PaddyJoe
16-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Apparently Nessa Childers said that a senior Labour party figure had left a threatening message on her voice mail but refused to say who it was.
EDIT: I don't know what the content of the message was so perhaps it would be better to describe it a a 'warning' message.

Baron von Biffo
16-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Apparently Nessa Childers said that a senior Labour party figure had left a threatening message on her voice mail but refused to say who it was.
EDIT: I don't know what the content of the message was so perhaps it would be better to describe it a a 'warning' message.

If Nessa Childers was touring the Kelloggs factory she'd have to have a stamp on her hand to make sure they let her out.

PaddyJoe
16-11-2011, 10:49 PM
If Nessa Childers was touring the Kelloggs factory she'd have to have a stamp on her hand to make sure they let her out.

:D

disability student
17-11-2011, 12:35 AM
I think that LAB are trying to distract us re Childers/Cardiff issue. So ignore them at will as look at the real meat of an issue is on unemployment, burning the bondholders which the Greeks did, no justice with regards to bankers/senior civil servant/central bank regulators re reckless mismanagment of our economy as they are STILL sitting on the boards of directors.

C. Flower
17-11-2011, 06:21 AM
De Rossa...?

EURE NUA...LOL @DeRossa told @NChildersMEP she might have to leave Labour - The Irish Times - j.mp/rzVYJs #MISEeire

Dr. FIVE
17-11-2011, 06:33 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1117/1224307705971.html

The Irish Times understands it was her colleague in the European Parliament, Mr De Rossa, who contacted Ms Childers after she told reporters last week she was “not happy” with the appointment.

Mr De Rossa could not be reached for comment yesterday and his spokesman referred queries to the Labour press office. Labour’s director of communications Dermot O’Gara said the issue was being treated as an internal party matter and declined to comment further.

Mr De Rossa left two messages on Ms Childers’s phone. In the first, he told the MEP to contact him immediately, and warned her not to say anything more about the Government’s nomination of Mr Cardiff.

The two politicians then had a heated conversation during which Ms Childers hung up. Mr De Rossa then rang her again and left a second message on her phone in which he expressed his annoyance at the fact that she had put the phone down on him.

In this message, Mr De Rossa, referring to himself as the head of the Labour delegation of MEPs in Strasbourg, told Ms Childers that she could face expulsion if she persisted with her public stance on Mr Cardiff’s nomination.

Holly
17-11-2011, 10:27 AM
My apologies to the runt, Howlin, for suspecting him as the bully.
So it was De Rossa -- what a blunder he has made.
Prediction: De Rossa is on the skids.

DCon
17-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Mary Lou questioning Gilmore on this in teh Dail.

Gilmore saying she should not name members of the Public Service in the Dail as they have no right of reply. ML saying she questioned Cardiff on these issues directly last week and his answers were "less than adequate"

Captain Con O'Sullivan
17-11-2011, 11:05 AM
It isn't up to Gilmore to police TDs right to free speech within the Dail.

Baron von Biffo
17-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Gilmore saying she should not name members of the Public Service in the Dail as they have no right of reply. ML saying she questioned Cardiff on these issues directly last week and his answers were "less than adequate"

TDs cannot be sued for comments they make in the chamber so by convention they don't make critical comments in the chamber about persons outside the house who cannot vindicate their good name. McDonald's disregard of that convention hints at what we might have seen had we been foolish enough to pass the kangaroo court amendment.

morticia
17-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Mary Lou questioning Gilmore on this in the Dail.

They were less than adequate. I don't blame her.

C. Flower
17-11-2011, 11:32 PM
TDs cannot be sued for comments they make in the chamber so by convention they don't make critical comments in the chamber about persons outside the house who cannot vindicate their good name. McDonald's disregard of that convention hints at what we might have seen had we been foolish enough to pass the kangaroo court amendment.

Cardiff is a big boy on a very large salary. The salary implies responsibility.

He is someone who has done the State a number of great disservices.

Senior civil servants must be accountable.

The Moth
18-11-2011, 12:20 AM

The Labour Party are being unusually protective of Kevin Cardiff.:confused:

Baron von Biffo
18-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Cardiff is a big boy on a very large salary. The salary implies responsibility.

The convention whereby persons outside the house are not subject to adverse comment in the chamber is not subject to an income threshold.

He is someone who has done the State a number of great disservices.

There's been no investigation that found him guilty of anything. Criticisms of him are based on media reports and the statement read out on RTE before PrimeTime a few hours ago should underscore how very careful we should be about accepting the validity of unsubstantiated media attacks on a person's good name and character.

Senior civil servants must be accountable.

All civil servants should be accountable.

Where there are allegations of misconduct, wrongdoing or professional failing they should be properly and fairly investigated. If they are upheld then appropriate sanctions should apply.

Baron von Biffo
18-11-2011, 01:17 AM
The Labour Party are being unusually protective of Kevin Cardiff.:confused:

They lost face on the kangaroo court amendment. They lost face on Penrose. They don't want to be seen as dragging FG down.

Holly
18-11-2011, 09:36 AM
The convention whereby persons outside the house are not subject to adverse comment in the chamber is not subject to an income threshold. ...
You deliberately miss the point, BvB.
By appealing to a false sense of fairness and loyalty to hard-working, under-paid, senior civil servants who do all the legwork for dedicated ministers of government, the Táinaiste, Eamon Gilmore, is actually attempting to stifle criticism of the Finne Gwael-led government's puzzling attempt to promote a man who was neck deep in the bank bailout negotiations that resulted in bankrupting Ireland as well as mislaying €3.6 billions recently.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
18-11-2011, 09:56 AM
The convention whereby persons outside the house are not subject to adverse comment in the chamber is not subject to an income threshold.

There's been no investigation that found him guilty of anything. Criticisms of him are based on media reports and the statement read out on RTE before PrimeTime a few hours ago should underscore how very careful we should be about accepting the validity of unsubstantiated media attacks on a person's good name and character.

All civil servants should be accountable.

Where there are allegations of misconduct, wrongdoing or professional failing they should be properly and fairly investigated. If they are upheld then appropriate sanctions should apply.

What- you mean appropriate sanctions such as 'promotion'? I'm beginning to wonder whether there is more of 'de party' in the Irish civil service than in Fianna Fail.

Baron von Biffo
18-11-2011, 10:59 AM
You deliberately miss the point, BvB.
By appealing to a false sense of fairness and loyalty to hard-working, under-paid, senior civil servants who do all the legwork for dedicated ministers of government, the Táinaiste, Eamon Gilmore, is actually attempting to stifle criticism of the Finne Gwael-led government's puzzling attempt to promote a man who was neck deep in the bank bailout negotiations that resulted in bankrupting Ireland as well as mislaying €3.6 billions recently.

Real life is a tad messier than kids stories. You don't get too many situations where one person is pure as the driven snow while the other is the epitome of evil.

McDonald tries to boost herself and her party by abusing Dail privilege to attack someone who can't defend himself. Gilmore tries to deflect attention from his own and his party's failings by jumping all over her.

Public interest? Give Michael D a buzz and he might write a poem about it.

Holly
18-11-2011, 11:06 AM
McDonald tries to boost herself and her party by abusing Dail privilege to attack someone who can't defend himself. Gilmore tries to deflect attention from his own and his party's failings by jumping all over her. ...
It is not an abuse of privilege to question the political appointment of a rich civil servant with a questionable record by a governing party; it is the function of an opposition so to do.

Captain Con O'Sullivan
18-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Gilmore was given an opportunity to explain the Cardiff caper in an earlier private meeting and came up with unsatisfactory explanations. Childers is quite entitled to raise the matter in the Dail and it isn't up to Gilmore to decide when or on what subject Dail privilege is used and it is certainly not the business of a civil servant to decide unilaterally that it is 'abuse' of Dail privilege.

Typical arrogance of a civil servant in having lots of mouth and an attempt to defend what is at the worst a gombeen appointment of a civil servant who is either corrupt or unsuitable for a highly paid appointment as an Irish representative.

Tell me again the little story of Irish civil servant's 'independence' from government Biffo- don't forget Michael Noonan TD sat alongside 'independent' civil servant Kevin Cardiff on the boadr of the European Bank for Regeneration and Development. I wonder whether he was gettinge expenses for that gig alongside the Fine Gael Finance Minister after his stint spreading corruption for Sir Dead Lenihan.

The arrogance of the Irish civil service needs to be given a serious kicking.